Garfield School, a public school located on upper Tombstone Canyon at the intersection of Pace Avenue, was completed in 1917. In 1939 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) enlarged the playground and tennis courts, and built retaining walls that contain multiple WPA… read more
Parks received the property for this park from the Department of Water Supply, Gas and Electricity in 1940. It completed this playground, originally called the P.S. 166 Playground after the adjacent school, in June 1941. The press release announcing the… read more
Originally called the Great Hall-Long Hall buildings, the Plummer Park Community Clubhouse buildings were built by the WPA in 1938 in the Spanish Colonial Revival style. The Clubhouse was designated by the California Historic Resources Commission on May 1, 2013… read more
Pocomoke State Forest (which contains Pocomoke River State Park) consists of over 15,000 acres of “loblolly pine, mixed pine-hardwood, bottomland hardwood, and bald-cypress” trees, and offers opportunities for fishing, hunting, hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, boating, canoeing, and camping. … read more
From the Wisconsin DNR website: “1939: WPA began work on road construction and developing a forest lodge. The lumber came from this forest and shakes came from the Lake Elba prison camp at Rhinelander. Rip-rap came from the Jambo Creek… read more
CCC laborers completed the bathhouse in 1939. The bathhouse is located at the original Pokagon beach. The beach at this location was itself a CCC project.
CCC laborers completed the drinking fountains in 1935. The drinking fountains are classified as Parks Rustic.
New Deal agencies worked on programs that helped protect wildlife. The CCC laborers at Pokagon created a fish rearing pond. The three ponds were completed in 1935.
CCC laborers completed the Potawatomi Inn bathhouse in 1935. The bathhouse is classified as Parks Rustic.
New Deal agencies built several attractive saddle barns and extensive horse trails, bringing this activity into the reach of the average park visitor. The saddle barn located at Pokagon State Park still functions. CCC laborers completed the saddle barn in… read more
Description of a project undertaken by the W.P.A. in 1938: “Ponkapoag Public Golf Course; work was started in the late fall to complete the development of nine additional holes at the course. Under this project, clearing, grubbing, grading and loaming… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a Pool and Bathhouse in Weatherford OK. Contributor note: “As originally built in 1936, this was a flat-roofed brick building, with brick pilasters flanking the entrances. A bronze plaque on the bathhouse indicates the Weatherford Municipal… read more
“The Portal Ranger Station contains three Depression-era buildings: a residence constructed sometime before 1930, an office, and a pump house. The latter two were built by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees from the nearby Cave Creek camp, F10A, between 1934 and… read more
“Captain Lemuel Moody (1768-1846) ordered construction of this octagonal, 86-foot high tower to serve as a communication station for Portland’s bustling harbor. In 1807, ships entering the harbor could not be seen from the docks of Portland until they rounded… read more