In 1936, the Washington Post reported that Works Progress Administration (WPA) crews had done work on the New York Avenue Playground. This would have been part of a nearly $1 million WPA program of park and playground improvements in 1935-36…. read more
The Federal Writers’ Project wrote of the New York Botanical Garden: “The botanical garden, incorporated by the State Legislature in 1891, after a two-year campaign for funds, is maintained by city appropriations, membership fees, and funds from the sale of… read more
Syracuse’s 275-acre New York State Fairgrounds site was built during the Great Depression. Its construction was enabled by funds provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $264,907 grant for the project, whose final cost was… read more
Roadside picnic areas were created by the National Youth Administration in cooperation with the Texas Highway Department. Lyndon Baines Johnson was the first director of the Texas branch of NYA from 1935-37. Tables and benches were built of local materials,… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out extensive improvements on Nicholl Park from 1935 to 1938. These included constructing ballfields and tennis courts, adding lighting, landscaping, and drainage and, most unusually, creating a lawn bowling green and a game bird… read more
This Caroga Lake golf course was opened in 1929. In the 1930s, WPA workers cleared underbrush, built bridges and benches, and installed tennis courts at the course.
From the Friends of Nickerson State Park website: “the Civilian Conservation Corps, (CCC) constructed the first roads, camping sites, parking and picnic areas near Flax Pond. CCC workers also planted 88,000 white pine hemlock and spruce trees.” Hathitrust.org: “Extensive developments… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Graves operated between May 27, 1933 and April 22, 1936 at Nipmuck State Forest in Union, Connecticut. Among the C.C.C. accomplishments were “8 miles of truck trails” and “fire suppression on the Connecticut—Massachusetts border.”… read more
A Department of Parks press release from December 4, 1939 describes the completion of WPA work on Noble Playground, along with three other playgrounds: “At East 177th Street and Noble Avenue the 3.6 acre area contains a children’s playground and… read more
The National Youth Administration built park facilities in Nolan Park. While I didn’t find the “Community House” pictured I found multiple other facilities that appear to be NYA construction. Picnic Tables, Small Building, Pavilion, possible water feature, and a bridge…. read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps camp, F41A, was established at Noon Creek in the Pinaleño Mountains in 1933. The camp operated during the winter. The enrollees built the Noon Creek picnic area located at milepost 7.2 on the Swift Trail Road…. read more
In 1942 the Work Progress Administration began construction for a building to serve as an armory, athletics coliseum, and student assembly hall. Only the skeleton was constructed during World War II; materials shortages caused by the war halted progress. After… read more
Multiple New Deal agencies worked to develop the North Chagrin Reservation outside Cleveland, Ohio. “Over the course of the 1930s the reservation was modernized with graded roads, permanent trails, sewage and water infrastructure, and shelter houses, much of this construction… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive development work in Grand Canyon National Park from 1933 to 1942. Among its trail development work, according to the National Park Service (NPS), the CCC “improved the main trails into the canyon, Bright… read more
"The improvements provided by this project for North Park, a unit of the Allegheny County park system, consist of the construction of an artificial lake, new and relocated highways, docks, and a boathouse and accessories. The lake was formed by… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted extensive development work in Grand Canyon National Park from 1933 to 1942. This included development work on the Grand Canyon’s North Rim. CCC Walking Tour: “[CCC] Company 818 worked on the … North Rim… read more
In 1940 and 1941, the Marietta Board of Education and the WPA collaborated on modernizing the athletic field of Marietta High School. Work included grading the field to facilitate drainage, the construction of concrete stands, the installation of lights for… read more
Montana’s Big Timber Pioneer newspaper reported in early 1937 that several NYA recreation projects had recently been completed around Butte: a”winter sports area at Robbers’ Roost, four tennis courts which will be ready for use the next spring, 44 regulation… read more
Montana’s Big Timber Pioneer newspaper discussed recent accomplishments of the National Youth Administration in Montana, among which: “Two skating rinks have been provided in Anaconda. The project was sponsored by the city. The NYA also has taken over the ski… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the custodian’s cottage in 1936. The building is classified as parks rustic. Today the custodian’s cottage is the property manger’s residence.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed fire towers on steel frameworks to help protect the new plantings and existing forests. The fire tower at O’Bannon State Park was completed in 1937 by CCC laborers. The steel tower replaced a temporary,… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers constructed a service building in 1935. The building is a series of connected sheds extended in a L shape. Today the service building is used as the park’s office.