The newspaper of what was then the North Dakota Agricultural College, The Spectrum of April 14, 1939 reported: “Student health fees, accumulating over a period of several years, will help finance the building of a $25,000 student health center on… read more
Tuberculosis hospitals were built in the state of Maine in the early part of the 20th century. 1,000 people a year died of tuberculosis in Maine before the advent of modern medicine. Following the success of private hospitals in Hebron… read more
Multiple buildings on the grounds of what was then known as Norwich State Hospital were constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the 1930s. The P.W.A. supplied a $213,582 grant for the bridge’s construction, whose… read more
The Department of Health medical center at 130 Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn was constructed with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. This was one of three infant health stations in Brooklyn dedicated by Mayor La Guardia on May 10, 1939. The buildings… read more
The Oak Knoll Tuberculosis Sanatorium, built in 1939 on an "oak-wooded knoll", according to the Santa Rosa Press-Democrat, was renamed Norton Psychiatric in 1997. The PWA had contributed 45% of building costs. At the time, Sonoma County also applied for… read more
The Obion County Health Department Clinic was undertaken in Union City, Tennessee during the Great Depression with the assistance of the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA built the “unadorned brick building for about ten thousand dollars” (Van West, p…. read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) built a hospital in Jasper, ca. 1934. The project was started by the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and completed by ERA. The facility, which was located at Birmingham Ave. and 19th St., has since been… read more
A $19,000 WPA project at Brentwood’s Pilgrim State Hospital involved the “construction of walks, steps, and retaining wall steps around various buildings of the institution.”
The Works Progress Administration built the Pima County Hospital in Tucson. The 30,000-square feet facility was laid out in four distinct units. It consisted of an “administration building which included doctors’ offices, lecture room, major and minor operating rooms, sterilizing… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of facilities for the Pine Crest Sanitarium, Beckley, Raleigh County. Project W. Va.-1126-DS. Today the facility is in service and operates as the Jackie Withrow Hospital. A market at the hospital site reads: “Established… read more
What is now Sand Island consists of mostly reclaimed land. During the early 20th century it was known as Quarantine Island. Substantially enlarged during the F.D.R. era prior to World Was II, on it was the federally managed U.S. Quarantine Station, which was likewise expanded… read more
A two-story, Colonial Revival building, with a prominent cupola and portico. A PWA structure, it was designed by Providence architect Edwin E. Cull. Built to house administration offices and a medical library, it is now occupied by the Rhode Island… read more
A substantial structure, of conservative Colonial Revival design. Its only ornament of any significance is the Palladian Window in the center pavilion, with a delicate fan above. It was designed by Edwin E. Cull of Providence, who also designed the… read more
A large, three-story building facing Howard Avenue, the main road through the hospital campus. The building, in the Colonial Revival style, is most notable for its prominent ogee gable. The ogee gable has been a recurring element in Rhode Island… read more
Now known as the Pinel Building, this building was built as a dormitory. It was designed by William R. Walker & Son, a Providence firm known for public buildings. It is built in the Colonial Revival style.
Now known as the Dorothea Dix Building, this building was built as a dormitory. It was designed by William R. Walker & Son, a Providence firm known for public buildings. In the Colonial Revival style. Built by both the Hospital… read more
In 1936, this three story hospital building was remodeled under the P.W.A. The architect was Albert H. Humes, of Pawtucket. It was originally built in 1918 and designed by John Hutchins Cady of Providence. It is today part of the… read more
A large, three-story Colonial Revival building. It was designed by architect John F. Hogan, of Providence. It was built concurrently with neighboring Simpson Hall, which is nearly identical, though by different architects. Barry Hall was named for a former superintendent… read more
A large multi-purpose building, in the Colonial Revival style. Originally housed the hospital’s chapel, cafeteria, and gymnasium. Designed by John F. O’Malley of Pawtucket. Used until recently as a homeless shelter.
A long Colonial Revival building, built to house a hospital. It was designed by the firm of Barker & Turoff, of Providence. It is located directly west of the Reception Hospital, the institution’s first building.
A two-story Colonial Revival building on a high basement. Like its neighbor, the Welcome Arnold Building, it was designed by Oresto Disaia. Unlike its neighbor, it has had some of its detailing altered, making the two no longer identical.
This is one of the largest buildings on the hospital campus. It stands three and four stories tall, gable-roofed, with a substantial clock tower. Like most of the area’s buildings, it is in the Colonial Revival style. The architect was… read more
A group of three Colonial Revival houses that would not look out of place in an early suburb. There were once two more of these houses, on the south side of the street, which have been demolished. The architects of… read more
A large Colonial Revival building. Built concurrently with neighboring Elizabeth Barry Hall, which is identical, though designed by a different architect. Simpson was designed by Howe & Church, of Providence.
A two-story Colonial Revival building on a high basement. Like its neighbor, the Jonathan Arnold Building, it was designed by Oresto Disaia. Unlike its neighbor, it remains unaltered, making the two no longer identical. The building is currently vacant.
A two-story, flat-roofed building. Nominally Colonial Revival in style. This is one of the three original buildings of the Hospital, built by the PWA in 1936.
A three-story, Colonial Revival building built by the PWA in 1936. Like its neighbor, the Bernadette Building, the McDonald Building houses part of the women’s prison.
The PWA built the power facilities at the State Infirmary Hospital. The power plant has since been substantially expanded, but it is unclear if the original building remains. Note that in the above photograph, the passageway at the right was… read more
Built by the PWA in 1936 as the main building of its institution, the Virks Building is one of the largest buildings in this part of the city. It features a large portico, overlooking West Road. It was designed by… read more
A long, low, Classical Revival building, originally built to houses the nurses employed by the Sanatorium. Architecturally, it is defined by the slightly projecting central pavilion ornamented with pilasters and a pediment. Like the Sanatorium’s main building, Wallum Lake House,… read more
The Wallum Lake House was the Sanatorium’s main building. It is a large, 3-story brick building, in the Colonial Revival style. The State Sanatorium was originally used as a place for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. It was designed by the… read more