The Wallum Lake House was the Sanatorium’s main building. It is a large, 3-story brick building, in the Colonial Revival style. The State Sanatorium was originally used as a place for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. It was designed by the… read more
Excerpt from the National Archives and Records Administration, Neg. 17975-D: “Rikers Island Penitentiary. Description of work done by WPA. Erection of four single family residences; two single family residences; 5400 linear feet chain-like fence. Fence around entire institution, fence around… read more
The Roanoke Veterans Administration (VA) Hospital Historic District, currently known as the Salem Veterans Affairs Medical Center, is located at 1970 Roanoke Boulevard, Salem, Virginia, within Roanoke County. The city boundary of Salem and Roanoke extends through the medical center’s… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Robert W. Speer Memorial Children’s Hospital in Denver CO. The building was completed in 1939. Today, the building is part of the Denver General Hospital. A cornerstone on the building reads, “Federal… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of a Tuberculosis Hospital in Roney’s Point, Ohio County, in the vicinity of Wheeling. The 40-bed hospital opened in 1936. The cost was $188,000 which was covered in part by the PWA, the… read more
Roosevelt Care Center in Edison, New Jersey was originally known as the Middlesex County Tuberculosis Hospital. The building was constructed with PWA funds. NJ.com states: “Today, that building is on the National Register of Historic Places. For many years, Roosevelt… read more
The former Rosebank Quarantine Station in Staten Island, New York was expanded during the F.D.R. era. “Building 1,” and “Building 3,” each completed in 1935, were constructed by Caye Construction Co. In 1939 additional work was completed: an addition to the “Junior… read more
“Ruth Home – As with Chicago’s Frances Home, the mission of the Ruth Home was to provide housing, treatment, and schooling to girls and babies infected with gonorrhea. The Pacific Protective Society, which opened the home as its only facility… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at was then known as the Saint Lawrence State Hospital in Ogdensburg, New York. Among the improvements were “painting 31,100 square yards of surface and construction of 10,000 square yards of… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted substantial improvement work at San Francisco Hospital during the Great Depression. The WPA: Repaired training nurses home, administration building, pathological, emergency and receiving buildings, general rehabilitation.–Healy, p. 71.
The WPA made "alterations and construct[ed] new addition to the Santa Cruz County Hospital and improve[d] grounds" in 1942. Exact location and current status of this hospital unknown.
Seaview Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium constructed “between 1905 and 1938 and was the largest and most costly municipal facility for the treatment of tuberculosis of its date in the United States” (wikipedia). The children’s hospital pictured here was constructed… read more
Seaview Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium constructed “between 1905 and 1938 and was the largest and most costly municipal facility for the treatment of tuberculosis of its date in the United States” (wikipedia). In addition to the nurses’ residence and… read more
Seaview Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium constructed “between 1905 and 1938 and was the largest and most costly municipal facility for the treatment of tuberculosis of its date in the United States” (wikipedia). The nurses’ residence pictured here was constructed… read more
The Department of Health medical center at 62 Second Place in Brooklyn was constructed with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. This was one of three infant health stations in Brooklyn dedicated by Mayor La Guardia on May 10, 1939. The buildings cost… read more
The Public Works Administration completed this services building for the St. Louis City Hospital Complex in 1940. The red brick building is vacant at the present, but is currently for sale. Surrounding buildings have been successfully repurposed and this building… read more
“The New Mexico Veterans’ Center (formerly Carrie Tingley Hospital) was partially funded with WPA funds in 1937. The buildings were left vacant in 1981 when the Hospital moved to Albuquerque. In 1983 the Veterans’ Administration and the New Mexico Legislature… read more
The Department of Health medical center at 8658 16th Ave. in Brooklyn was constructed with Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor. This was one of three infant health stations in Brooklyn dedicated by Mayor La Guardia on May 10, 1939. The buildings cost… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Slossfield Community Center. Constructed between 1936 and 1939, the complex consists of several buildings that included a health and maternity clinic, an education building, and a recreation center. The Art Deco structures were… read more
These retaining walls are adjacent to the first hospital on the property and to the Oak Knoll (tuberculosis) Sanatorium, built 1939. In 1997, its name changed to Norton Psychiatric.
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of a new clinic, part of the State Hospital for Mental Diseases (also known as the Spencer State Hospital for Mental Diseases) in Spencer, Roane County. The addition was built in 1937 and… read more
State Charity Hospital Improvements in Jackson MS was built with federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funds in 1935. $18,000 was allotted for the Charity hospital project. N. W. Overstreet was the architect for main building and nurses home renovations in… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) continued work at this facility from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). WPA project No. 65-3-2140, Approval Date 10-25-35, $1.045, “Paint Int. State Industr. Home. ERA” (Federal Emergency Relief Administration) Excerpt from Oakland Wiki: “The… read more
The State Narcotic Hospital Spadra was a once separate program within the grounds of what is known today as the Lanterman Developmental Center in Pomona, CA. No records exist since the unincorporated area known as Spadra was annexed into the… read more
The PWA conducted unspecified work at the State Welfare Old Age Infirmary, now the Delaware Hospital for the Chronically Ill. The state legislature appropriated $50,000 to the infirmary in 1935, potentially as matching funds for PWA work. From Delaware: A… read more
No-longer-extant, the Suffolk County Tuberculosis Sanatorium is now the site of Suffolk County Community College in Selden. Suffolk County News reported that, between 1935 and 1936, the WPA undertook many projects in Nassau and Suffolk Counties, including landscaping the grounds… read more
This brick Romanesque architecture building overlooking the city was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) on the property of the long-closed County Hospital. This is a former Tubercular Hospital. According to a WPA job card, the project scope was… read more
An inventory of WPA project photographs compiled by Becky Jordan at Iowa State University includes reference to numerous public works projects undertaken by the agency in Iowa between 1935 and 1940. The collection of 1,271 photographs documents the variety and… read more
The PWA built several facilities for the Territorial Hospital complex. Initially, the hospital accommodated patients from the Oahu Insane Asylum, founded by King Kamehameha IV in 1866 on the Iolani Palace grounds in Honolulu.1 The Territorial Hospital expanded and later became the Hawaii State… read more
“In 1866, soon after Congress authorized the establishment of a National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers, the Eastern Branch opened on the site of a former heath resort for the wealthy built by investor Horace Beals that had gone bankrupt… read more
Cairo, Illinois’s old (and since-demolished) Marine Hospital was located between 10th and 12th St., Cedar St. and Jefferson Ave. As part of Federal Project F-26: Improving Facilities for Sheltering Transients, the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) rehabilitated the hospital in… read more
A receiving hospital, and employees and nurses training buildings were constructed by the WPA in 1938-1941l. The receiving hospital has been demolished, but the other buildings are now state offices at 701 Elmwood St., Traverse City, MI.
Ten boys of the federal National Youth Administration worked at the old Trenton Marine Terminal. The facility is now a mixed-use development.
The federal Public Works Administration supplied “a loan of $120,000 to be repaid over 30 years, as well as an outright grant of $108,900” to Orangeburg for the construction of what was then known as the Tri-County Hospital. Construction occurred… read more
Orangeburg, South Carolina’s former Tri-County Hospital was constructed with federal Public Work Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided support for construction of the hospital’s nurses’ dormitory. “In 1937 the W.P.A. approved a grant… read more