1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 131
  • Willowcreek Community Church Murals (CCC Camp Vale Murals) - Vale OR
    In 1949, the Willowcreek Community Church purchased the former CCC Camp Vale's Recreation/Commissary Building for use as their gathering space. Renovations changed the building soon after its purchase, including the addition of a living space in the back of the building and placing sheet rock on the church's interior walls. Over thirty years elapsed when, in the 1980s, an effort to insulate the building required removal of the sheet rock. That renovation work revealed the original walls and, to the church members' surprise, the murals painted by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollee Frederick H. Kluemper. That discovery sparked an interest among...
  • CCC Camp Vale (former) - Vale OR
    Built in the summer of 1935 and operated through October 1940, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Vale served as the base for CCC enrollees working on the Vale Project's irrigation system. The Bureau of Reclamation's Vale Project involved construction of the Agency Valley Dam, located along the Malheur River and Willow Creek in east-central Oregon. At the dam's completion, the work of the enrollees at Camp BR-45/Camp Vale began. They finished the necessary means of furnishing irrigation water to area ranchers by building the lateral irrigation system to farm tracts in the area. These "soil soldiers," as the Bureau of Reclamation...
  • Fruita Middle School - Fruita CO
    The town of Fruita, Colorado received a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant of over $70,000 that covered almost half the cost of a new Fruita High School, begun in 1935 and completed in 1936.  The building is now used as the Fruita Middle School. The school building is a lovely example of Moderne architecture. It is a long, rectangular two story structure with two rows of windows separated by vertical elements suggesting columns. There is a small, single story wing joined to the main building and a rounded entrance foyer between the two.  The cladding is a light orange/earth-tone brick. There is...
  • Hoback Guard Station – Bridger-Teton National Forest WY
    In 1935, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers stationed in the Bridger-Teton National Forest constructed three buildings for the Hoback Guard Station: an office/dwelling, a shed, and a garage.  There is a fourth building on the site that is not CCC. The CCC buildings were constructed with an architectural style typical of CCC workmanship, with notched logs and square floor plans. All of the buildings remain in use by the U.S. Forest Service with minimal physical alterations. The central office/dwelling is available to the public for short-term rentals and overnight stays.  
  • Moraine Park Amphitheater - Rocky Mountain National Park CO
    Moraine Park, a large valley in the southeastern portion of Rocky Mountain National Park, was  purchased in 1931 by the National Park Service, which cleared the area of most of its former private resort structures. In 1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded a thorough remodeling of the building to convert it into Rocky Mountain National park’s primary museum. In 1935-36, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was called upon to build an amphitheater, designed by the National Park Service, next to the museum. It an seat 500 people. (Brock, p 43). It was added to the national register listing for Moraine Park...
  • CCC Camp Navy-1 (Former) – Yorktown VA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Navy-1 was created at Yorktown, Virginia, on November 1, 1935, for the purposes of improving the Naval Mine Depot (a 20-square mile area that is now called “Naval Weapons Station Yorktown”). The camp housed Company 2305, one of several African American CCC units in the area. Prior to its involvement at the Naval Mine Depot, and prior to its re-designation as “Navy-1,” the same camp was devoted to soil erosion control along the York River and along Colonial Parkway. This work was part of a larger CCC project (involving at least 4 other African American companies)...
  • Waterworks - Williamson WV
    A waterworks construction project in Williamson, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $7,000 loan and $5,727 grant toward the $12,727 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Mar. and Apr. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1016-R
  • Waterworks - Fairmont WV
    A waterworks improvement project in Fairmont, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $24,618 grant toward the $55,422 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Dec. 1935 and Aug. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1055-R
  • Waterworks - Pennsboro WV
    A waterworks improvement project in Pennsboro, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied an $11,356 grant toward the $25,236 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Nov. 1935 and Mar. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1018-R
  • Waterworks - Union WV
    A waterworks improvement project in Union, West Virginia was undertaken with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $12,000 loan and $9,647 grant toward the $21,437 eventual total cost of the project. Work occurred between Oct. 1935 and Apr. 1936. PWA Docket No. W Va. 1018-R
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 131