1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 131
  • CCC Camp Squaw Butte (former) - Burns OR
    In the  winter of 1935, members of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) #1629 began construction of camp administrative and barracks buildings near Squaw Butte to facilitate CCC work related to the 16,000 acre Squaw Butte Federal Experimental Range Station. Today some of those building survive to support work at the North Great Basin Experimental Range Station and continued research on the ecology and  management of rangelands. CCC Company #2504 arrived in October 1936 to further the work associated with the Squaw Butte Experiment Station and its efforts to improve grazing conditions in this very dry, sagebrush area of Harney County, Oregon. The...
  • Baird High School Gym, Football Field, and Wall - Baird TX
    The Works Progress Administration built the Baird High School gym, football field, and wall in Baird TX.
  • Neshotah Park Lily Pond & Rock Garden - Two Rivers WI
    In an effort to beautify the area around a pond in Neshotah Park, the City of Two Rivers had rocks hauled to the park over a period of about three years. In late October 1938 50 WPA workers were transferred from other work in the city to finish the park project. A contemporary newspaper description outlined the scope of the project: "The pond will be lined with the rocks and several elevations provided so that the water will cascade from an outlet rock cap to a pool several feet below and will then go to a lower pool several feet below...
  • City Hall (demolished) - Taylor TX
    Taylor, Texas's former City Hall, "an 11,000-square-foot building on Main Street between Fourth and Fifth streets", was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935. The rectangular building, featuring Art Deco details, was used for municipal purposes until 2005. Despite $58,000 in efforts at that time to "repair the roof, clean, paint and put in new windows," the building fell into disrepair and the property was later fenced off. The building was demolished between 2013 and 2015, per Google Street View imagery. The former property is now part of the north side of Heritage Square Park.
  • Plainview Band Shel Band Shell - Plainview NE
    The Plainview Band Shell was built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in Plainview NE. According to the Architectural Foundation of Nebraska, "The land for the park in which the band shell would be located was purchased in 1935 by the city of Plainview, which used WPA labor to level and grade the land the following year. Norfolk architect Elbert B. Watson received WPA funds in 1938 to design the band shell, and work began in June 1939. Due to other WPA projects taking place in the park, the shell’s construction wasn’t hurried; in fact, in July 1941 – 25 months...
  • Lenexa Municipal Water System - Lenexa KS
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the Lenexa Municipal Water System in Lenexa KS. "Establishing a municipal water system occupied the mayor and council for sometime, and it was approved on October 1, 1935. A federal PWA project grant was received for $31,091 to help build the system." Long time Lenexa residents recall a water tower in what is now Old Town Lenexa that they believe was linked to this project. The water tower was dismantled in the 1970s or 80s.
  • Potomac State College: Farm Shop – Keyser WV
    In 1935, the Public Works Administration (PWA) awarded $41,818 for the construction of faculty homes at Potomac State College (PSC), Keyser, West Virginia. The current Farm Shop appears to have been the "tool shed" included in the original contract for those homes. The Tri-State Construction Company was awarded the contract to build the homes, and a report in April 1936 said that, “First signs of construction on the Potomac State faculty homes here are seen with the construction of a tool shed. Mr. Gates of the Tri-State Construction Company, Ashland, Ky., is here supervising the preliminary work” (Mineral Daily News and...
  • Potomac State College: Faculty Homes (former) – Keyser WV
    In September 1935, the Public Works Administration (PWA) allotted $41,818 for the construction of faculty homes at Potomac State College (PSC), in Keyser, West Virginia. The allotment consisted of a $23,000 loan and an $18,818 grant. The Tri-State Construction and Building Company of Ashland, Kentucky, won the bid to construct the homes, and broke ground in April 1936. In its April 24, 1936 edition, the PSC student newspaper, The Pasquino, reported that “The homes will be built on the property of the school on the site of the old golf course. Three buildings will be erected on the site. One will...
  • Great Plains Shelterbelts - Cimarron KS
    Shelterbelts were natural windbreaks planted to protect land from the dust storms of the 1930s. The Great Plains Shelterbelts spans several states. The agency that started the project is unknown to the Living New Deal, but the project was transferred to the Works Progress Administration because of a dispute over the source of funding. Today, very few of the Depression-era shelterbelts are left, but a few trees remain of the shelterbelt built on the McFarland Ranch.  McFarland Ranch is a private property southwest of Cimarron. The ranch is south of the Arkansas River and the trees were originally irrigated by the Arkansas...
  • Trail Ridge Store - Rocky Mountain National Park CO
    In 1935, enrollees in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a "museum, curios shop and coffee house" at Fall River Pass. Other CCC 'boys' came back in 1939 and added an extension to the building for toilets and a water supply  (Brock, p. 43). Today, the building functions as the Trail Ridge Store and Cafe, and a large, new visitor center has been constructed next to it. The Trail Ridge Store is built of stone and timber, with a shingle roof, in the classic National Park Service Rustic Style.  CCC enrollees were very helpful to the National Park Service as museum guides, as well.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 131