The Works Progress Administration (WPA) prepared the way for Dimond Park in 1936, in coordination with the Oakland Parks Department. The relief workers cleared trees and brush from the steep Sausal Creek Canyon before constructing the Recreation Area, reworking the… read more
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration built a club house and tennis court, along with picnic structures. The club house survives in near original condition. The tennis court picnic structures have been updated over the years.
The National Gallery of Art on the mall is one of America’s greatest art museums. It holds thousands of New Deal artworks in its vast collections, much of it available in digital form and occasional shown in exhibits. By far… read more
The Works Progress Administration completed drainage system improvements at Camp Conley in Point Pleasant WV. Construction began on the camp in 1927. Named for Wiliam Gustavson Conley (1929–33) in 1929. The state police used the camp to train in 1928… read more
In 1935, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers completed Camp Heppner on a site just east of the Morrow County Fairgrounds’ race course and north of the Heppner Highway. From its founding to closure in November 1941, several CCC companies resided… read more