1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 131
  • School Repairs - Blue Rapids KS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted a school repair project in Blue Rapids, Kansas in 1935. The project provided employment for 109 men.
  • School Repairs - Frankfort KS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted a school repair project in Frankfort, Kansas in 1935. The project provided employment for 20 men.
  • Sewers - Waterville KS
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted a sewer project in Waterville, Kansas in 1935. The project provided employment for seven men.
  • Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium Improvements - Omaha NE
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed cat and bear cages at what was then known as the Riverview Park Zoo in Omaha, Nebraska. A 1936 article cites "new cement cages" begun in the fall of 1935 that would house animals once the WPA completed construction. The status of the project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Tourist Building - Grand Rapids MI
    The Works Progress Administration built the Tourist Building in Grand Rapids MI in 1935. From the GR History website: Tourist Building GRHC – February 29th, 2012 The original tenant of the one story Georgian style building at the west edge of Fulton St. Park, now Veteran’s Park, was the Michigan Tourist and Resort Association, which had maintained it headquarters in Grand Rapids since its founding in 1917. Transcript Have you ever wondered about the origins and purpose of the small building at the west edge of Fulton Street Park? The one-story structure was designed to be in harmony with the park environment, the public library, and other...
  • School (former) - Talmage NE
    Talmage's historic former school building, later city hall and now privately owned, was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The PWA provided a grant of $13,137 for the project, whose total cost was $47,157. Construction occurred between May 1935 and Jan. 1936. PWA Docket No. 8605
  • Storm Sewers - Atchison KS
    A storm sewer development project in Atchison, Kansas was undertaken during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA provided a $14,382 grant for the project, whose total cost was $32,494. Work started in Oct. 1935 and was completed in Feb. 1936. PWA Docket No. KS 1003
  • Water System Development - Valley Falls KS
    Two water system construction projects: one for a water tank and another for water mains in Valley Falls, Kansas were undertaken as federal Public Works Administration (PWA) projects. Water main, PWA Docket No. Kan. 1108: The PWA provided an $8,590 grant for the project, whose total cost was $19,382. Construction started in Dec. 1935 and was completed in Mar. 1936. Water tank: PWA Docket No. Kan. 1417: The PWA provided a $3,713 grant for the project, whose total cost was $9,089. Construction started in Oct. 1938 and was completed in Jan. 1939. The status and locations of the projects are presently unknown to...
  • Columbus Youth Camp - Columbus IN
    Columbus Youth Camp provides outdoor activities for adult and youth groups. Credited work by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) included a 350 ft-long dam forming a 17 acre lake, 6 cabins for overnight stays, stone shelter house at the lake, and remodeling an 1837 farmhouse into the camp administration building. The 2023 article gives a total WPA expenditure of $50,000. The 1935 article gives a figure of $15,000 for construction of the dam. Anecdotal local history credits the donor of the original property, Q. G. Noblitt, chairman of Noblitt-Sparks Inc. (Later Arvin Industries Inc., since merged with Meritor Inc.) with...
  • City Hall Improvements - Oakland CA
    The WPA completed a thorough painting of city hall as part of the reducing of welfare rolls in Oakland. WPA Project No. 65-3-1687, Approval Date 10-15-35, $6,496, "Complete painting of interior of City Hall." The current building was completed in 1914. The building was designed by New York-based architecture firm Palmer & Hornbostel in 1910, after winning a nationwide design competition. The building, constructed in the Beaux-Arts style, resembles a "rectangular wedding cake".
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 131