Construction of the historic Bama Theatre in Tuscaloosa, Alabama was enabled by the provision of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the 1930s. The building was constructed as a combination “theatre/municipal auditorium” and “city hall, all under one roof.”… read more
This simple wooden building was constructed by the WPA in 1936-37. As the town’s website explained: “Until the 1930’s, town meetings were probably held in the schoolhouse at Bennington Center. In 1936, during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s presidency, the Works Progress… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including Brooklyn’s Borough Hall.
The old Brookhaven Town Hall in Patchogue is located at the northeast corner of South Ocean Ave. & Baker St. According to Sayville’s Suffolk County News in 1939, “The WPA has approved the proposed construction of an extension to the… read more
According to a wayside marker at the current Chestertown Firehouse (see photo and source note 1 below), the Chestertown Town Hall, at 118 N. Cross Street, was Chestertown’s firehouse for forty years (1938-1978). The old Chestertown Firehouse was one of… read more
“Construction of this building was completed in 1939 as a WPA (Works Progress Administration, a depression-era program) building project. It brought several City departments together under the same roof, including the City Clerk, City Manager, and the Public Library. The… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the City Hall in Casa Grande. The building also housed the Police and Fire Departments. The facade was finished with plaster and featured Art Deco style elements, such as the vertical, low relief decoration marking the entrance. The… read more
Cody, Wyoming’s City Hall (originally Town Hall) was constructed as a federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project during the Great Depression. The P.W.A. supplied a $14,400 grant for the project, whose total cost was $32,660. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938… read more