1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
  • Town Hall Remodeling - Massena NY
    Massena's historic town hall received extensive improvements and a facelift, courtesy the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). "The interior was completely remodeled and the front changed in 1938 and 1939  under a PWA project." (Massena Observer) The PWA provided a grant of $50,152 for the project, whose total cost was $112,774. Construction occurred between Oct. 1938 and May 1939. PWA Docket No. NY W1508.
  • Town Hall Remodeling - Wakefield MA
    Built in 1871, Wakefield's Lafayette building "was used as the town's high school until 1937, when it was remodeled as part of a WPA project for municipal offices."
  • Town Hall Renovations - Kearny NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) renovated Kearny Town Hall ca. 1936.
  • Town House (former) Improvements - Maynard MA
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) conducted improvement work at what was the Town of Maynard's first owned town hall ("town house") building. The exact location and status of the facility is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Town House and Miscellaneous Municipal Improvements - Acton ME
    The Civil Works Administration funded municipal improvements in Acton ME between 1933 and 1940.  Acton is a rural town (1930 population 449) in York County situated next to the New Hampshire border.   
  • Town Office Improvements - Foxboro MA
    In 1934 The Foxboro Reporter wrote that Civil Works Administration labor was used to improve and redecorate the town offices of Foxboro, Massachusetts.
  • Tracy Memorial Hall - Norwich VT
    Norwich, Vermont's Tracy Memorial Hall (town hall) was constructed between 1938 and 1939 as a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The building is still in use today. The PWA provided a $22,090 grant toward the $49,215 total cost of the project. 1080.]
  • Village Hall - Decatur NE
    In November 1938, the Legion Hall in Decatur was visited by the State Fire Marshall. The building was declared unsafe, condemned, and no further gatherings could be held within the building for the safety of the public. The building had been built in 1927. The community applied for a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant to repair or rebuild the hall. Since the grants could only be awarded for community properties, the American Legion deeded the property to the village. The original building was torn down, beginning in February 1939. Plans for the new building called for a council chamber and...
  • Village Hall - Graceville MN
    "The quirky Graceville Village Hall was built with reinforced concrete in the Art Deco style in the late 1930’s by the Works Progress Administration."
  • Village Hall - Inver Grove Heights MN
    The Village hall, as of now situated off River Road and 66th Street, was worked in 1934 through the assistance of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), as per "History of Inver Grove Heights: Minnesota's Treasure 1858-1990," by Lois Glewwe. Its area was once home to Inver Grove School, and a few blocks from the old fashioned were utilized to develop the new structure. It filled in as the gathering place for the town of Inver Grove before the village converged with Inver Grove Township to make what is presently known as Inver Grove Heights. Before it fell into neglect during...
  • Village Hall - Maxwell NM
    The village hall in Maxwell, New Mexico was constructed as a New Deal project, most likely undertaken by the W.P.A.
  • Village Hall - McKinley MN
    The historic McKinley Village Hall was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Village Hall - Port Chester NY
    Port Chester, New York's Village Hall was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The PWA provided a $58,725 grant for the project, whose total cost was $121,763. Construction occurred between Sept. 1938 and Oct. 1939. PWA Docket No. NY W1601.
  • Village Hall - Rice MN
    "Mary Ostby is the Executive Director of the Benton County Historical Society. She says the hall was built in 1938 and commissioned by the Works Progress Administration as a way for residents to learn new work skills after the depression."
  • Village Hall - Sister Bay WI
    Original Use: "The building, one of the finest in the state for any village of this size, was made possible by the public spiritedness. of the residents of the community and the whole­hearted co-operation of the National Youth Administration that furnished all of the labor on the building with the exception of skilled craftsmen. "The main building is 78 by 40 feet with an "V for the public library that is 20x20 In the main building, which has a large entrance hall, is the auditorium that will comfortably seat more than 300 for events on the 19x26 foot stage where all types...
  • Village Hall (former Post Office) - Morton IL
    Morton's historic former post office building was constructed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork (since relocated), served as a post office until the 1970s. It now serves as the Morton Municipal Building and Village Hall.
  • Village Hall (former) - Grey Eagle MN
    Constructed by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) in 1934 as the village hall, this striking stone building is now privately owned.
  • Village Hall (former) - Proctor MN
    The historic former Proctor Village Hall was constructed by the Work Projects Administration (WPA) in 1940.
  • Wadsworth Auditorium - Newnan GA
    Newnan, Georgia's historic Wadsworth Auditorium was originally constructed as the community's Municipal Building in 1939. The building was "originally constructed in part with funds provided by the Federal Public Works Administration. The three story tan colored brick building designed in classical style with Art Deco influences was designed by R. Kennon Perry." The PWA supplied a $55,841 grant for the project, whose total cost was $93,030. Construction occurred between December 1938 and December 1939. According to the City of Newnan website, "The auditorium was christened 'The Charles Wadsworth Auditorium' in 1998 in recognition of Wadsworth's contributions and nation-wide preeminence as a gifted and talented piano...
  • Warwick School (former) - Warwick OK
    "Warwick is a town of about 148 people, on historic Route 66. A post office was established here in 1892 and the agricultural town thrived through the years. In the early 1940s, the railroads abandoned their passenger service through Warwick, which struck the town a hard blow and began its decline. In 1964, the Warwick School closed, after consolidating with the nearby town of Wellston. The post office officially closed in 1972. Warwick school is a two-room schoolhouse constructed of native sandstone by the WPA in 1940 with an appropriation of $7910. A WPA shield is located to the right of...
  • Waverly Village Hall - Waverly MN
    "The building was constructed in 1940 under the New Deal program known as the Works Progress Administration (WPA), and was used for town dances, church socials, wedding receptions and speeches by political figures such as Hubert Humphrey. The original village hall burned down in the summer of 1938. The WPA received plans for a new building that December. Bids were let in May of 1939, and by Labor Day in 1940, Waverly residents celebrated their brand new hall with baseball games, dances, and a carnival."  (https://www.waymarking.com)
  • West Linn City Hall (former) - West Linn OR
    At a cost of approximately $28,000, the Historic West Linn City Hall was completed in July 1936 with funds provided by both a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan. Local voters approved a bond measure to reimburse the loan in 1936. The structure served as city hall from 1936 to 1999 when civic offices moved to their current location. Incorporated in 1913, West Linn waited thirteen years for construction of its first city hall. New Deal funding allowed the city to achieve its goal of a designated building for city business. Designed by the Portland architectural firm Claussen & Claussen...
  • West Salem City Hall (former) - Salem OR
    "The former West Salem City Hall building was a Public Works Administration project, completed in 1936 at a cost of $30,000. This two-story Art Deco style brick building was designed by architect Lyle P. Bartholemew and served as City Hall for the City of West Salem from 1936 to 1949. It is one of only two Art Deco style buildings in West Salem. Until 1949, West Salem was an independent city, in Polk County on the west side of the Willamette River. It's location on Edgewater Street was in the heart of West Salem's business district. After being plagued by...
  • Williams City Hall - Williams CA
    The city hall of the small Sacramento Valley town of Williams was built in the Spanish Revival Style, presumably with a Public Works Administration grant. It includes a fire station on the side.
  • Williamsport Town Hall - Williamsport MD
    This beautiful structure, the Williamsport Town Hall, was built by the WPA in 1939.
  • Zeeland City Hall - Zeeland MI
    This building allowed all city functions to be carried out in a single location for the first time, and included a council meeting room, a large public meeting room, a police station with jail cell, and city offices. This was the first public building built under the Civil Works Administration in Ottawa County.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10