- Champaign, IL
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, City and Town Halls
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Funding, Public Works Administration (PWA)
- George E. Ramey & Co.
- Carson-Payson Co., George A. Zirhut, J. M. Beam Electric Shop, William C. F. Kuhne
Champaign’s historic City Building was constructed in part with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building replaced a two-story red brick building that had been on site. The New Deal structure bears a 1935 cornerstone and opened in 1937.
The P.W.A. supplied a $77,454 grant for the project, whose total cost was $207,617.
P.W.A. Docket No. ILL 1357-R
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 48.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 15, 2015.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site