Battle Creek, Michigan’s city hall received a new electric elevator as part of a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied a $5,535 grant for the project, whose total cost was $12,441. Construction occurred between Nov. 1938 and Mar. 1939…. read more
The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve New Rochelle’s, New York’s city hall during the 1930s. One project, which involved numerous municipal buildings in New Rochelle, was described by the WPA in its project rolls: “Work includes performing carpentry,… read more
Built in 1896, the Rockdale City Hall was remodeled by the Work Projects Administration (WPA) in 1940. The structure currently houses Rockdale Police Department. WPA Project #12892 Milam County. WPA crews “remodeled building roof, plastered partitions, installed hardwood floors, and… read more
Originally the U.S. Customs House and Post Office, this imposing building was constructed in the mid 19th century by the U.S. Treasury Department. “In 1938, the building was renovated as part of a Works Progress Administration project to become Petersburg’s… read more
In 1936, the Works Progress Administration built the Armory, City Hall, Police Department, and Fire Department in Lake City FL. All departments were combined in one building.
“City Hall, located at 90 West Broad Street, occupied (with its park) an entire block in the civic center. The five-story structure of Indiana limestone, in Greco-Roman style, was designed by the Allied Architects Association of Columbus and cost $1,700,000…. read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Temporary Emergency Relief Administration (TERA) constructed the historic Potsdam civic center. NRHP nomination form: “The Potsdam Civic Center shares salient associations with Depression-era New Deal programs and politics, particularly as manifested in the process… read more
“The new Sebastian County Courthouse at Fort Smith has six floors, counting the semi-basement and the central penthouse of two floors devoted entirely to the jail. On the basement floor is a large assembly hall, the police department, miscellaneous offices,… read more
Constructed by the WPA in 1939-1940. It was used as the city hall until the 1980s. The building was restored and rededicated in 2008 and now serves as a tourism office.
In 1935-36 the WPA worked on reconstruction and renovation of the historic 1794 Fairfield Town Hall building, including the addition of wings to both sides of building; basement improvements and utility upgrades; a new cupola to replace an older cupola… read more
Construction through the Works Progress Administration (WPA) began in 1935 with 18″ stone quarried from a nearby ranch and was completed in 1937. This building housed the Volunteer Fire Department downstairs and City Hall upstairs until the 1970’s. As of… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration worked to conduct repairs and alterations to several civic buildings in Queens as part of a $300,464 project begun in 1935. Buildings improved included the historic Flushing Town Hall on Northern Blvd., which at the… read more
The New Albany City Hall was designed by Mississippi architect E. L. Malvaney, who designed many modernist buildings in the state. The two-story Art Deco style building (with Art Moderne characteristics) is a Mississippi State Landmark. Joan Embree, 1996, described… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the City Hall and the Auditorium building in Gatesville, between 1935 and 1937.
The Granville Town Board voted in 1940 to build a new Town Hall in Granville Center that would house the town offices, an auditorium, and the fire department. Work Projects Administration (WPA) labor built the project. Construction began Oct. 23,… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Casino and Muncipal Pier in Gulfport FL. The marker on site states that, “The U.S. Department of the Interior has listed the Gulfport Casino in the National Register of Historic Places. This is… read more
Many of Hagerstown’s administrative offices are located in the Hagerstown City Hall. According to a Maryland Historical Trust Inventory Form: “The Hagerstown City Hall is a Renaissance Revival style brick structure which was erected in 1939-1940 under the auspices of… read more
At a cost of approximately $28,000, the Historic West Linn City Hall was completed in July 1936 with funds provided by both a Public Works Administration (PWA) grant and loan. Local voters approved a bond measure to reimburse the loan… read more
What was the Hurricane Library/City Hall “was constructed in 1938-1940 as a Work Progress Administration (WPA) project. The WPA was one of several New Deal programs designed to stimulate economic recovery during the Great Depression while providing needed public services… read more