1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 51
  • Brown County State Park: Archery Shelter - Nashville IN
    In 1934 a vast archery hunting ground was established in the eastern part of the Brown County State Park. In 1935 CCC laborers completed the Archery (Hunters') Shelter. The shelter is classified as parks rustic state park.
  • Brown County State Park: CCC Camp Historical Marker - Nashville IN
    The site was originally the camp of Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) laborers. In 1934 it became the home of CCC Co. 1557, which was comprised of World War I veterans. The marker commemorates CCC laborer and reads "It was in this area that members of the CCC 1557 were stationed while completing many early park construction projects. Foundations of some of the building may still be visible." The site of the CCC camp is now used as a picnic grove.
  • Brown County State Park: Hesitation Point Vistas and Shelter - Nashville IN
    Hesitation Point was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The vista sign explains view (height, atmosphere). Hesitation Point is a good example of vistas cleared by CCC workers.
  • Brown County State Park: Lower Shelter House - Nashville IN
    CCC laborers completed the Lower Shelter in 1936. The shelter is two stories with multiple fire places. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: North Gatehouse - Nashville IN
    Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse is one of two at Brown County State Park. The gatehouse was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the gatehouse is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Ogle Lake - Nashville IN
    The CCC laborers completed Ogle lake between 1934 and 1935. The workers also created an earth dam and spillway.
  • Brown County State Park: Ogle Lake Shelter - Nashville IN
    The Ogle Lake Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The shelter overlooks Ogle lake and the earth dam to the south. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Oven Shelter - Nashville IN
    CCC laborers completed the oven shelter in 1940. Inside the stone shelter is a two-sided stone fireplace. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Oven Shelter and Drinking Fountains - Nashville IN
    Several oven shelters were built throughout Brown County State Park between 1934 and 1940 but only a few survived. The oven and drinking fountains are in the vicinity of Lower Shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Peach Tree Shelter - Nashville IN
    The Weed Patch Shelter, also commonly known as Peach Tree Shelter, was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Recreational Building - Nashville IN
    The building was originally called Vermin Shelter, today it is known as the recreational building. Originally the building was used to educate people about local animals. The shelter hosted various small predatory animals (hence the name "vermin shelter") for public viewing. The shelter also helped keep individuals away from nesting areas. The structure was completed by CCC laborers in 1934. The style of the recreational building is parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Saddle Barn - Nashville IN
    CCC workers completed the Brown County State Park saddle barn in 1936. It is the largest saddle barn of any Indiana state park, with stalls for 25 horses. The saddle barn is classified as Parks Rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Shelter House/Country Store - Nashville IN
    The shelter house was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The shelter functions as a store.
  • Brown County State Park: Strahl Shelter and Restrooms - Nashville IN
    Strahl Shelter was renovated by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: Upper Shelter House - Nashville IN
    The Upper Shelter House was completed  by CCC laborers in 1935. CCC workers also constructed a drinking fountain near the shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: West Gatehouse - Nashville IN
    Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The west gatehouse is one of two at Brown County State Park. It was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the gatehouse is classified as parks rustic.
  • Brown County State Park: West Lookout Tower - Nashville IN
    The West Lookout Tower was completed by CCC laborers in 1936. The building is a two story structure overlooking a valley. The style of the lookout is classified as parks rustic.
  • Bryan Park - Valentine NE
    Just east of the Bryan Bridge across the Niobrara, the Veterans Conservation Corps completed a little park on 1.46 acres of ground purchased by the state for park purposes. A driveway was built at the east and south corner of the bridge. In the canyons and timber at the river’s edge, a footbridge was built, tables constructed, an oven built of concrete, and underbrush cleared away. Nearby residents considered the park one of the outstanding beauty spots of the state, taking advantage of the natural resources of the site for a marvelous park.
  • Bryce Canyon National Park Improvements - Bryce Canyon UT
    Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south-central Utah. The New Deal greatly improved Bryce Canyon National Park.  Along with the National Park Service, the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided special funds, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked continuously in the park, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was also active. The National Park Service recognizes the CCC's contribution on its website for Bryce Canyon NP, but not that of the PWA or WPA:  “During the 1930s...
  • Bryce Canyon National Park: Cabins - Bryce Canyon UT
    Several cabins for Bryce Canyon National Park employees were built by New Deal agencies over the course of the 1930s.  They appear  in the residential area of the Park near the lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a 3-room employee cabin in 1937; the Public Works Administration (PWA) built two employee cabins in 1934; and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) build a rangers' dormitory in 1939 and remodeled a mess hall as a residence in 1938. It is not certain which of the present cabins are from the New Deal and which were built later; some park rangers believe that all of the cabins...
  • Bryce Canyon National Park: Rainbow Point - Bryce Canyon UT
    Rainbow Point was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in 1939, and it has three different components.  First is the overlook area.  This has been refurbished in recent years, but the original stone and metal railings can be seen outside of the newer stone and log rails. Second is the "museum" at Rainbow Point.  The museum is not a building but an open structure with display cases featuring natural habitat, geology, etc.  The structure is relatively large (20 x 10 feet).  This is the most noted CCC project in Bryce Canyon National Park Third is the Bristlecone Trail at Rainbow Point.  This is a short, 1 mile...
  • Bryce Canyon National Park: Road Work - Bryce Canyon UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) performed road work in Bryce Canyon National Park from 1934-1941.  The CCC made grading improvements on the Rim Road (the 20 mile-long road through the park) and built service roads.  The exact locations of such work cannot be ascertained today, but the roads are still there. The CCC also built parking lots at the Bryce Canyon Lodge and the headquarters building in 1936 and 1939. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) did some road work as well, in 1938-1941.
  • Bryce Canyon National Park: South Campground - Bryce Canyon UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laid out the first campground in Bryce Canyon National Park in 1934.  Several campsites are leveled using tell-tale CCC stone-work.  Water and sewer lines were laid.  The original tables no longer exist but metal fireplaces appear original. Also at the South Campground is the amphitheater, build by the CCC in 1934.  Originally called the "lecture circle," it has a simple wooden stage (which can be opened like a giant closet door) and rows of benches.  The old wooden benches have been replaced by plastic ones.
  • Bryce Canyon National Park: Trail Work - Bryce Canyon UT
    From 1934 to 1940, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built or improved major trails in Bryce Canyon National Park, greatly expanding the park's trail system.  The most impressive is the Under-The-Rim trail, running from Bryce Point to Rainbow Point (18.8 miles).  The second longest is the Rim trail from the administration area to Bryce Point.  The CCC also made improvements to the Fairyland Trail and trails from the South Campground to the rim. The Works Progress Administration (WPA) also did some unidentified trail work at Bryce Canyon National Park from 1938-1941.
  • Buck Mountain Lookout - Coconino National Forest AZ
    The historic Buck Mountain fire lookout tower was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). NRHP Nomination Form: "Located on the Long Valley Ranger District, this 30 ft high CT-2 wooden x-brace tower has a 14 ft by 14 ft L-4 wood cab on top. It was built in 1933, probably by a CCC crew. The steps were slightly altered in 1953. The timbers were treated for preservation in 1957 and the roof was reshingled in 1983. These modifications have not had a negative impact on the property. This represents the best example of a surviving CT-2 type tower in the...
  • Buckhorn Island State Park Development - Grand Island NY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to clear the land for / develop the then-new Buckhorn Island State Park.
  • Buescher State Park - Smithville TX
    Buescher State Park is connected to Bastrop State Park via a scenic 11-mile drive. This CCC project opened to the public in 1940. Mr. Emil and Mrs. Elizabeth Buescher donated the original land to the state between 1933 and 1936. Buescher was spared from the September 2011 fire that swept through Bastrop County. The park has a beautiful lake with fishing, camping, and hiking trails. A plaque in front of the Recreation Hall states: CCC Companies 1805 and 1811 worked on Buescher between 1933 and 1939. Recruits enrolled for a six month period and received base pay of $30 month. Between...
  • Buffalo Point Campground - Yellville AR
    The Buffalo Point Campground is the largest NPS campground on the Buffalo National River. It was originally an Arkansas State Park before being assumed by the National Park Service. The historically significant park and cabins were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) before WWII. Cabins are perched on a tall bluff top with magnificent views of the lower Buffalo River. There is a Ranger Station, hiking trails including the famous Indian Rockhouse, and many interpretive programs. Buffalo Point is a very popular facility, reservations are recommended.
  • Bullocks Field (demolished) - Boulder City NV
    “To accommodate the dramatic increase in motorists, the highway between Las Vegas and Kingman, Arizona, was kept open year-round by 1936. Visitors came to southern Nevada by car, rail, and plane. The CCC helped extend and surface new runways at Bullock’s Field in Boulder City. For several years, the Grand Canyon Airlines and Trans World Airlines scheduled regular stops in Boulder City for its planes on the Newark, New Jersey, and Los Angeles, California, route.” –The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada The former Bullocks Fiel is largely no longer extant, with a hangar—located at 1401 Madrone St.— being the only major building...
  • Bunker Tower, Cheaha State Park - Delta AL
    "Bunker Tower is an observation tower on the peak of Cheaha Mountain in Cheaha State Park located in Cleburne County, Alabama, U.S.A. The tower is located at the peak of Cheaha Mountain, the highest point in Alabama. The tower is a large stone building completed in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It originally had park offices and a gift shop in the wings on either side of the observation tower. The tower is immediately adjacent to the very tall Alabama Public Television WCIQ transmitter tower which aids it being a central meeting place that can be easily found despite...
  • Burke Mountain Roads - Darling State Forest VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built roads, hiking and ski trails, and recreation facilities on Burke Mountain VT.
  • Burlingame State Park - Charlestown RI
    "During the 1930s, taking advantage of the public works programs offered by the Depression-era New Deal, Burlingame became home to the 141st Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was the first, the state headquarters, and one of five such camps in Rhode Island. Beginning in 1933, out of work young men, in their late teens and early twenties were put to work making roads and trails. In addition they built fire places, camp sites, and picnic areas, while making recreational improvements to the beaches of Watchaug Pond. Forest management activities went on throughout Rhode Island, particularly in the aftermath of...
  • Burnet Woods: Trailside Nature Museum - Cincinnati OH
    "Trailside Nature Museum: This fieldstone building was completed in 1939, a combined project between the PWA and the CCC and designed by Freund. It reflects the influence of Frank Lloyd Wright with its horizontal design and rustic stone work. All external corners are rounded, as is the central chimney." It is one of the approximately 67 structures (about half of the existing 135 in the Cincinnati Parks system) made by New Deal workers.
  • Cabin Lake Guard Station - Bend OR
    Forty miles southeast of Bend, Oregon, the Cabin Lake Guard Station served as a district ranger station and headquarters for the Fort Rock Ranger District of the Deschutes National Forest from 1921 through 1945. Members of a Civilian Conservation Corps camp, located adjacent to the ranger station from 1934 to 1938, contributed to the area’s development for recreational use as well as improved its function for the Forest Service. The CCC camp members built seven buildings for the ranger station, including the existing guard station building.  Six of these structures (ranger residences, a warehouse, maintenance shop, and a gas station) remain...
  • Cacapon State Park - Berkeley Springs WV
    According to the West Virginia Department of Commerce: “Cacapon Resort State Park was the first CCC state park to be completed. Camp Morgan was established October 4, 1934 in what is now the main picnic area in the park. The land was devastated by clear-cutting of the timber and by poor agricultural practices of small subsistence farmers during the Great Depression. The men were responsible for the construction of 27 miles of roads and trails within the park, bath house, lake, dam and beach, picnic areas and shelters, stables, supply house, staff residences and rental cabins. The 12-room Old Inn was...
  • Caddo Lake State Park - Karnack TX
    According to the Caddo Lake State Park History website, the cabins, pavilion, and trails were begun by Company 889 (June-November, 1933) and completed by Company 857 (October 1934-March 1937). Some of the original picnic benches remain, as do remnants of the original trails. The pavilion is no longer in use, though other buildings remain in use.
  • Camden Hills State Park - Camden ME
    Newell Hamilton Foster "was the superintendent of Liberty Island, and in an unlikely connection, was also the superintendent of the Civilian Conservation Corps that built the Camden Hills State Park in the 1930s... Newell Hamilton Foster, was the superintendant of the Civilian Conservation Corps's Camden project from 1935 to 1947, when the camp was turned over to the State of Maine. The National Park Service (NPS) began working with the Maine Parks Commission in 1936 to develop a 1500-acre park (now 5,500 acres) in Camden... Foster and his Civilian Conservation Corps crew cleared brush; leveled terrain; built roads, parking areas, hiking trails...
  • Camp Angeles Crest - Pasadena CA
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Angeles Crest (F-384) was established in Oak Grove Park, in Pasadena, California, July 1936 (Oak Grove Park is now called “Hahamongna Watershed Park”).  The camp was in operation until at least 1941, and for much of that time (perhaps the entire time) it was the home of CCC Company 903. Camp Angeles Crest and Company 903 were chosen by the CCC’s Ninth Corps Area to create an education model for the Corps.  “Such courses as erosion control, road building, surveying, U.S. Forest Service training, mechanics, etc., were included in the curriculum, and through this vocational training...
  • Camp Buckeye CCC Camp - Sequoia National Park CA
    This camp was located on the boundary line of the south side of Sequoia National Park in the Sierra Mountain Range. Originally a side camp constructed by Company 4759 based at Camp Red Fir. Permanent occupation by the 1493rd Company, Camp Buckeye SNP-9 was October 13, 1937. The Company was organized at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana, April 1933 where they were involved in reforestation of 200,000 acres. In late 1934 the company was moved to Camp Maestri, located 9 miles NE of Bogalusa Louisiana. The move to California was October 9, 1937. Work accomplished by the 1493rd was highway improvement on...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 51