1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 159
  • McKee Bridge Picnic Ground (McKee Bridge Forest Camp): Riverbank Retaining Wall - Ruch OR
    In the Rogue River National Forest, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees from Camp Applegate learned the techniques of masonry construction through various projects at the McKee Bridge Picnic Ground. A 200 foot long rock retaining wall along the riverbank was the largest masonry project. It separates the picnic grounds from the beach adjacent to the Applegate River. The wall, made of local bedrock and river rock, reinforces the terraced picnic area and provides stone steps to the beach as well. There are three staircases in this project. The retaining wall is five to eight feet high, adjusted as required by...
  • McKee Bridge Picnic Ground (McKee Bridge Forest Camp): Community Kitchen - Ruch OR
    The Community Kitchen Shelter is the largest Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built feature at the McKee Bridge Picnic Ground. The 18' x 35' structure demonstrates the rustic-style design work that CCC enrollees used in the development of many US Forest Service campgrounds in Oregon. During 1935-1936, CCC enrollees from Camp Applegate learned the carpentry and masonry required that went into the kitchen shelter, using local stone and wood. The entrance to the kitchen shelter faces the Applegate River to the south. That elevation highlights the low-pitched wooden roof covered in wood shingles, and use of parallel, flattened logs that enclose the...
  • McKee Bridge Picnic Ground (McKee Bridge Forest Camp) - Ruch OR
    In 1935, enrollees from the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Applegate began construction of a forest camp on the banks of the Applegate River near the McKee Bridge. The site already served as a popular local swimming hole and the CCC work would build on this popularity to open new public recreational opportunities in the Rogue River National Forest. The McKee Forest Camp opened in 1936 with privies, a bathhouse, a playground, and a community kitchen shelter as well as camp stoves, fire rings and picnic tables for day use. By the late 1930s, the Forest Camp served as a...
  • La Cienega School - Questa NM
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Questa High School, Questa Elementary School, Community Building. Construction began on La Cienega School in 1934 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The school was built on donated land and with donated building materials and opened its doors in 1936. La Cienega School graduated its first senior class in 1950. The school closed in 1999, having educated several generations of students from many communities throughout northern Taos County. This school is Questa was one of the largest in the county at the time with seven rooms.
  • Ness City Public Library - Ness City KS
    The Works Progress Administration built the Ness City Public Library in Ness City KS. This building originally housed the Ness City Fire Department, the Ness City city office, and the Ness City Public Library. It now is the location of the Ness City Public Library only. The city office and the fire department have moved to other locations. 
  • Burbank Elementary School Rehabilitation - Long Beach, CA
    The 1933 Long Beach Earthquake destroyed hundreds of schools throughout Southern California. Originally built in 1922, Burbank Elementary School in Long Beach, CA, was rehabilitated by Kenneth S. Wing in 1935/36 with New Deal funding. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding of schools. Applications for approximately thirty-five schools were filed with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA); federal grants up to thirty percent of labor and material costs were obtained. To minimize costs, building materials were salvaged from damaged buildings, some schools were rehabilitated, and new schools were...
  • Avalon School Rehabilitation - Avalon, CA
    The 1933 Long Beach Earthquake destroyed hundreds of schools throughout Southern California. Originally built in 1924, Avalon School on Catalina Island—a part of the Long Beach Unified School District—was rehabilitated by Harold C. Wildman in 1935/36 with New Deal funding. Classes were held in tents while construction was underway. “On August 29, 1933, Long Beach citizens approved a $4,930,000 bond measure for the rebuilding of schools. Applications for approximately thirty-five schools were filed with the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and Public Works Administration (PWA); federal grants up to thirty percent of labor and material costs were obtained. To minimize costs, building...
  • Morganfield Legion Park Development - Morganfield KY
    Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped develop Morganfield Legion Park in Morganfield, Kentucky.  The WPA relief workers built a recreation hall (known locally as the "Legion Hut"); a pool and pool house; tennis courts; playgrounds; and a football stadium and field (for Morganfield High School).  These were built in 1936. The city of Morganfield, the local American Legion, and the public school district all sponsored the project.  We do not know when the park was originally set aside or what, if any, improvements had been made before the WPA arrived. Much of the WPA work at the park is still in place. The...
  • Erosion Control and Drainage (Camp Bowie) - Brownwood TX
    Until World War II, the site of present-day Camp Bowie was privately owned agricultural land. It is presently the site of Camp Bowie, a military installation owned by the Texas Military Department. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp 3818(V), active in Brown County from 1935 to 1936, was composed of 250 local veterans (hence the “V”) and was tasked with erosion control and drainage projects on privately owned land around Brown County. A few structures (now in ruins) likely built by CCC Camp 3818(V) remain on what became part of Camp Bowie, a military installation, at the start of World War...
  • Delta High School Mechanical Arts Building (demolished) - Delta UT
    A new Mechanical Arts building was constructed for Delta High School, in Delta, Utah in 1935-36 with funding from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA).   It was part of a larger project for the Millard County School District that included a gymnasium for Hinckley High School in Hinckley and a gymnasium at Millard High School in Fillmore.  Total cost for the three buildings was $130,000.  The architects of all three were Carl W. Scott and George W. Welch. The contractors were Talboe and Litchfield. Delta High School was torn down and replaced by a new school complex in the early 2000s....
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 159