The New Deal’s Civil Works Administration (CWA) employed 40 men “in making improvements” at what was then known as the Fort Hays Branch of the Kansas Agricultural Experiment Station (now Agricultural Research Center).
“The steel structure of the hangar rises from a concrete foundation. Corrugated metal siding clads the walls and very shallow gambrel roof. Large telescopic sliding doors, that extend beyond the original building, dominate the north and south ends. Windows and… read more
An auditorium/gym construction project in Ulysses, Kansas was undertaken with Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The P.W.A. provided a $22,725 grant for the project, whose total cost was $52,847. The exact location and status of the facility is presently unknown… read more
“The existing bandshell was constructed in 1992 to replace and earlier building constructed in 1934. The City received CWA funds to construct the original bandshell adjacent to the stadium in the fairgrounds park. It burned in 1992 and was replaced… read more
“Building has ahslar quarry-faced limestone walls laid in a random range. Dressed stone details include beltcourses and arched entry surround. The symmetrical facade has a 9-bay central block. At its center the castellated entry surround projects slightly from the building… read more
The WPA pool and building pictured here was voted in in 1936 and completed in 1939. The pool was closed and filled in in the 1970’s. There is now a basketball court where part of the pool was. The pool… read more