- Clay Center, KS
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Amphitheaters and Bandshells
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civil Works Administration (CWA), Work Relief Programs, Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)
A band shell in Clay Center’s Dexter Park was constructed in 1934. The work is often attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA). However, since the WPA did not exist until 1935, it is likely that that the band shell was actually constructed by one of the WPA’s predecessor agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) or Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), each of which was active in 1934.
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on May 15, 2017.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site