The Bureau of Public Roads provided funds to construct a grade separation for Newton-Sparta Road and the railroad in Andover Township, N.J. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era. Living New Deal believes this structure is no… read more
The Public Works Administration contributed $1,329,508 toward the construction of the Sam Houston Coliseum and Music Hall. The architect of record was Alfred C. Finn. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held on November 4, 1936 and dedication was held on November 26,… read more
Improvements at the former New York City Reformatory in New Hampton, New York were undertaken as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project.
The former Willard Parker Hospital received an addition to its laboratory during the 1930s as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project. The hospital was located at E 16th St. along the East River. The hospital closed during the 1950s and has… read more
The second Oakland Avenue Viaduct in Sharon, Pennsylvania opened on Christmas Day 1936 and was demolished June 23, 2001. The structure was built as a New Deal project sponsored by the Public Works Administration [PWA, not the Works Progress Administration (WPA)]…. read more
A new swimming pool and municipal park were built in 1934 using Civil Works Administration funds. The school playground was furnished, athletic field improved with grading and concrete seats, teacher’s home renovated, and repairs made to the high school. Dedication… read more