1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 119
  • CCC Camp Applegate (former) - Ruch OR
    Once located approximately 35 miles southwest of Medford in the Rogue River National Forest, Camp Applegate operated as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp from 1933 until 1941. Oregon enrollees worked at Camp Applegate (F-41) on US Forest Service projects until 1937 when recruits arrived from southern states, primarily Alabama. Projects completed by Camp Applegate workers included the construction of an extensive truck trail system for forest management purposes. Thompson Ridge Road, Little Applegate Road, Middle Fork Road and the Beaver Creek - Mount Ashland Loop are among those fire roads built by CCC enrollees. While members of the CCC...
  • CCC Camp - Elmhurst IL
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) company 1672 built a camp in Elmhurst IL. "In December 1933, Elmhurst welcomed CCC company 1672. The company consisted of more than 200 army veterans, and they quickly set to work building a camp near North Avenue and Villa Avenue to the northwest of town. However, their work orders were delayed, and in May of the following year the company was dispatched to Rockford. Camp Elmhurst was temporarily vacant until the end of that summer. CCC Company 2602, under the command of Captain Leland S. Powers, arrived at Camp Elmhurst on August 10, 1934 with the assigned...
  • George Washington Elementary School (demolished) Renovations - Anaheim CA
    After the 1933 Long Beach Earthquake, Central Elementary School was reconstructed with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and renamed George Washington Elementary School. During the project, carried out in 1938-39, all of the walls were replaced. Central Elementary School was Anaheim's first elementary school, opening in 1879. The reconstructed George Washington Elementary was repurposed in 1979 and finally demolished in 1998 to make way for the beautiful George Washington Park. There is a plaque on site that recognizes the significance of the location as being Anaheim's first elementary school, but does not mention the New Deal school that replaced it.
  • Clifton High School (demolished) - Clifton ID
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Clifton High School in Clifton, Franklin County. The project was awarded to Isakson and Morrin of Ogden, Utah with a winning bid of $43,300 in December of 1938. It was completed in 1939. The school was used as a high school for about 10 years, then as a junior high school and elementary school until the late 1980’s, when it was demolished.
  • Delta High School Mechanical Arts Building (demolished) - Delta UT
    A new Mechanical Arts building was constructed for Delta High School, in Delta, Utah in 1935-36 with funding from the federal Public Works Administration (PWA).   It was part of a larger project for the Millard County School District that included a gymnasium for Hinckley High School in Hinckley and a gymnasium at Millard High School in Fillmore.  Total cost for the three buildings was $130,000.  The architects of all three were Carl W. Scott and George W. Welch. The contractors were Talboe and Litchfield. Delta High School was torn down and replaced by a new school complex in the early 2000s....
  • CCC Camp Berry Creek - Ely NV
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp along Berry Creek in eastern Nevada during the 1930s. Berry Creek drains South Schell Mountain in the Schell Creek mountain range,, about 30 miles northeast of Ely, Nevada. From Camp Berry, CCC enrollees worked on projects all around the area, both for the US Forest Service (Toyaibe National Forest) and the National Park Service. “Within six months, the men of Camp Berry Creek developed new campgrounds in the Duck Creek area, and improved existing facilities at East Creek, Bird Creek, Berry Creek, and Steptoe Creek. The men improved the recreational area...
  • Seaboard Air Line Locomotives 2500-2504 (demolished) - Portsmouth VA
    In 1934, the Interstate Commerce Commission approved a loan of $3.5 million from the Public Works Administration (PWA) to the Seaboard Air Line, a railroad company headquartered in Portsmouth, Virginia.  Among the purchases made with this PWA funding were five very large freight locomotives (requiring hefty 2-6-6-4 wheel configurations), to be built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. The engines, numbered 2500 through 2504 were completed in 1935, with the first engine put on display on Sunday, April 28 at Union Station in Raleigh, North Carolina.  Raleigh’s newspaper, The News and Observer, enthusiastically described the new arrivals: “Both awesome...
  • Ridge Avenue School (demolished) Grounds Improvements - Darby PA
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted the following work at the former Ridge Avenue school in Darby, Pennsylvania: "grade the grounds on the Tenth street side of the Ridge avenue school grounds and ... enlarge the cement court to the Tenth street fence and the line of the property of the Friends' Meeting." The school, which was located at the western corner of Ridge Ave. and N 10th St., is no longer extant.
  • High School (demolished) Painting - Darby PA
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) painted the interior of the senior high school in Darby, Pennsylvania. The school, which was located on the east side of S 7th St. between Walnut St. and Spruce St., is no longer extant.
  • Steele School (demolished) Improvements - Northumberland PA
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook a modest project to paint the since-demolished Charles Steele School in Northumberland, Pennsylvania. The school had been located at the western corner of Orange St. and 6th St.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 119