1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 107
  • La Cienega School - Questa NM
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Questa High School, Questa Elementary School, Community Building. Construction began on La Cienega School in 1934 as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The school was built on donated land and with donated building materials and opened its doors in 1936. La Cienega School graduated its first senior class in 1950. The school closed in 1999, having educated several generations of students from many communities throughout northern Taos County. This school is Questa was one of the largest in the county at the time with seven rooms.
  • Santa Paula City Fire Staion #1 - Santa Paula CA
    The State Emergency Relief Agency (SERA) funded the construction of the Santa Paula City Fire Staion #1 in Santa Paula CA. Fire Station for Santa Paula will be demolished in 2024 under a CEQA Cat Ex. No historic review was done.  Historic report: Historic resources evaluation was prepared by San Buenaventura Research Associates of Santa Paula, California, October 1995: "Santa Paula City Fire Staion #1 -- This one-story brick and concrete block building is composed of two major connected elements, the engine bay to the north and office to the south. The engine bay is rectangular in plan, roughly twenty feet in height, with...
  • Vasona Dam and Canal - Los Gatos CA
    Teh Public Works Administration (PWA) built the Vasona Lake and dam in Los Gatos California. The dam is part of a local park and still part of the local water system. Built in 1934-35 as stated on the plaque at the top of the dam. PWA project 6051. 
  • Bertha Brock Park: The Palmer Lodge - Ionia MI
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Palmer Lodge at Bertha Brock Park.  The park benefited from the work of 94 CCC enrollees working two overlapping 15 hour shifts.
  • Camp S-59-Md (Demolished) – Oakland MD  
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp S-59-Md was located in what is known today as Swallow Falls State Park, Oakland, Maryland.  It was the home of CCC Company 304. The work of Company 304 included road construction and firefighting.  From the park’s main parking lot, three CCC-built structures can be seen today – the park office, pavilion, and stone restroom. At nearby Herrington Manor State Park, the men of Company 304 built a dam & lake, cabins, bathhouse and more. These structures are still in use. The enrollees of Company 304 produced the camp newspaper Youghiogheny Digest (pronounced yaa-kuh-gay-nee). Numerous editions of it can be found at...
  • Carnegie Library Mural (former) - Anaheim CA
    In 1934, the Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) funded a large three-panel mural by artist Arthur Ames, which was displayed in the Carnegie Library in Anaheim, California. The mural has been relocated to the Anaheim Central Public Library in Anaheim, CA. As of October 2023, the two smaller side panels are still there, but they are not viewable by the public due to the threat of vandalism. The central panel is currently viewable to the public for free at the Anaheim Heritage Center, located inside of the Muzeo Museum. The central mural is oil on canvas, 92 by 56...
  • Modjeska Sculpture - Anaheim CA
    The Public Works of Art Project (PWAP) and the State Emergency Relief Administration (SERA), along with local sources (Rotary Club and City of Anaheim), funded a sculpture of actress Helena Modjeska. The sculpture was created by Eugene Maier-Krieg in 1934 and resides in the northeast corner of Pearson Park in Anaheim, California. Modjeska was an actress who first immigrated to Anaheim, CA from Poland. She went on to stardom as a Shakespearean actress, regularly touring the country. But she returned to Orange County often for vacation and eventually purchased property in the area. The front of the statue portrays Modjeska...
  • Seaboard Air Line Locomotives 2500-2504 (demolished) - Portsmouth VA
    In 1934, the Interstate Commerce Commission approved a loan of $3.5 million from the Public Works Administration (PWA) to the Seaboard Air Line, a railroad company headquartered in Portsmouth, Virginia.  Among the purchases made with this PWA funding were five very large freight locomotives (requiring hefty 2-6-6-4 wheel configurations), to be built by the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Eddystone, Pennsylvania. The engines, numbered 2500 through 2504 were completed in 1935, with the first engine put on display on Sunday, April 28 at Union Station in Raleigh, North Carolina.  Raleigh’s newspaper, The News and Observer, enthusiastically described the new arrivals: “Both awesome...
  • Sidewalks - Delaware City DE
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) approved a project "consisting of the construction of about 600 feet of four-foot sidewalks on Fourth and Fifth streets, leading to the concrete walks around the school grounds," in Delaware City. The project was begun in Jan. 1934.
  • Swamp Draining - Springville UT
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) undertook a project involving the "draining of swamp lands northwest of ... the work employing about 20 men. With an aim of destroying mosquito breeding grounds this CWA project will constitute one of the many city improvements brought about by the recent employment program." Work on this project began in January 1934.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 107