- Mill Valley, CA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Infrastructure and Utilities, Picnic and Other Facilities, Park Roads and Bridges, Paths and Trails, Flood and Erosion Control
- New Deal Agencies:
- Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Conservation and Public Lands, Work Relief Programs, National Park Service (NPS)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The CCC did extensive work in Muir Woods National Monument.
The National Park Service site summarizes their activity:
“The men began work in Muir Woods and the surrounding Tamalpais State Park. Projects included a revetment (rockwork stream banks) in Redwood Creek; construction of a stone-faced concrete bridge on Fern Creek; construction of utility buildings and benches; and the construction of the Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Amphitheater (the “Mountain Theater”), near Rock Springs, on Mt. Tamalpais. The CCC completed its last project in Muir Woods in May 1941, and was disbanded shortly thereafter.” (https://www.nps.gov/)
Not everything the CCC did was ideal by modern standards, of course. Stream channelization was very popular in the middle of the 20th century, but knowledge has advanced since then. As one park report notes:
“Unfortunately, some of these projects disrupted natural processes and degraded ecosystem health. For example, the removal of woody debris and the construction of bank revetments or rock walls along 3,541 feet of Redwood Creek prevented the formation of natural pools and undercut banks, which degraded or eliminated the complex habitat that spawning and juvenile coho salmon and steelhead require. Floods were curtailed, and when they were, bare mineral soils were no longer exposed, diminishing the opportunity for coast redwood seeds to sprout into seedlings.” (NPCA Park Report)
Site originally submitted by Shaina Potts on March 22, 2016.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
At this Location:
- Mt. Tamalpais State Park Improvements - Mount Tamalpais State Park CA
- Cushing Memorial (Mountain) Theater - Mount Tamalpais State Park CA
- Lake Lagunitas Picnic Area - Fairfax CA
- CCC Camp NM-3/SP-23 - Muir Woods National Monument CA
- Gardner Fire Tower - Mill Valley CA
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site