- Mill Valley, CA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Amphitheaters and Bandshells
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Quality of Information:
- Very Good
- Site Survival:
The Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Theater was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1936-38. It occupies a natural amphitheater at 1900 feet elevation, near the top of Mt. Tamalpais. It is known locally as the “Mountain Theater.”
This magnificent outdoor amphitheater has serpentine rock seating and holds around 4000 patrons, who enjoy stunning views over San Francisco Bay.
The theater lies in Mt. Tamalpais State Park and is still in regular use for summer theater productions.
Joseph Engbeck, By the People, For the People: The Work of the Civilian Conservation Corps in California State Parks, 1933-1941. Sacramento CA: California State Parks Department, 2002.
Site originally submitted by Shaina Potts on September 25, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
At this Location:
- Mt. Tamalpais State Park Improvements - Mount Tamalpais State Park CA
- Lake Lagunitas Picnic Area - Fairfax CA
- Muir Woods National Monument Improvements - Muir Woods National Monument CA
- CCC Camp NM-3/SP-23 - Muir Woods National Monument CA
- Gardner Fire Tower - Mill Valley CA
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site