- Muir Woods National Monument
- Site Type:
- Infrastructure and Utilities, Forestry and Agriculture, Parks and Recreation, Paths and Trails, Picnic and Other Facilities, Flood and Erosion Control, CCC Camps
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
- No Longer Extant
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp on Mount Tamalpais in October 1933 and CCC enrollees did extensive work around Mount Tamalpais in Marin County CA, north of the Golden Gate. They carried out improvements in Muir Woods National Monument on the south flank of the mountain, Mt. Tamalpais State Park which encircles the summit and Marin Water District on the north side of the mountain.
The National Park Service says this about the camp:
“October 1933: Often called the “busiest month” in the history of Muir Woods, this month saw the arrival of the Civilian Conservation Corps, or the CCC, to the park. Up to 200 men were stationed at this new camp, initially called Muir Woods Camp NM-3 The “NM” stood for National Monument. The camp was later changed to Camp Mt. Tamalpais SP-23, with the “SP” referring to State Park….The CCC completed its last project in Muir Woods in May 1941, and was disbanded shortly thereafter.” (https://www.nps.gov/)
Camp Muir Woods NM-3 began as a tent camp set up on the north side of Mt Tam from Muir Woods near Lake Lagunitas, before moving to Muir Woods, according to Matt Cerkel of Marin Water District.
CCC work in the parks also included rip-rap along Redwood Creek, a stone-faced bridge on Fern Creek, utility buildings and benches in Muir Woods, and the impressive Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Amphitheater (“Mountain Theater”) on Mt. Tamalpais.
Matt Cerkel talk on the CCC on Mt Tamalpais, Mill Valley Historical Society, January 5, 2022. https://youtu.be/_RJ6uRi9do8
Site originally submitted by Matt Cerkel on March 9, 2021.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
At this Location:
- Mt. Tamalpais State Park Improvements - Mount Tamalpais State Park CA
- Cushing Memorial (Mountain) Theater - Mount Tamalpais State Park CA
- Lake Lagunitas Picnic Area - Fairfax CA
- Muir Woods National Monument Improvements - Muir Woods National Monument CA
- Gardner Fire Tower - Mill Valley CA
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site