The McFadden Cabin was built by a City Park benefactor in the 1920’s as a recreational facility for New Orleans Girl Scouts (still in use today). The WPA made improvements as part of its many works projects in the park,… read more
“Built by Works Progress Administration volunteers in 1933, the Meadow Park Shelter House offered park-goers shady respite before the floods left it in ruins. The emergency grant allows this beloved shelter to remain and be enjoyed.” (http://www.historycolorado.org) The facility was… read more
Established by the Minnesota legislature in 1905 to allow public access to Minneopa Falls, the Minneopa State Park was enlarged and improved during the New Deal period by Works Progress Administration funding. WPA workers improved the falls with new stairs,… read more
From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The administration building and four log cabins built by the CCC at Mohawk Trail were featured in Albert Good’s 1938 book, Park and Recreation Structures, as outstanding examples of CCC… read more
Stone foundation, board and batten walls, wood shingles, gabled roof, and stone chimney. Virtually identical to Bryant Creek shelter house. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
Stone Foundation, gabled roof. Typical of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) national construction on state lands. From 1934.
Limestone and concrete foundation, board and batten walls, gabled rood, wood shingles, and two stone fireplace chimneys. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Stone foundation, hipped roof, asphalt shingles, stone fireplace chimney, 2-sided fireplace oven, and stone floor. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935.
Concrete foundation, hipped roof, and asphalt shingles. Virtually identical to another shelter on the main forest road. Construction appears later than – on at least a typical of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)-built shelter houses.
The CCC conducted extensive work on Mount Greylock State Reservation between 1933 and 1942. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The Mount Greylock Summit, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, contains an exceptional collection… read more
“The newly established Department of Conservation and Development…immediately requested a CCC work camp for Mount Mitchell… …the upper reaches of the East’s highest mountain underwent a remarkable transformation. Fire prevention crews fanned out along the trails and parking areas, clearing… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop San Francisco’s Mountain Lake Park during the Great Depression. Examples: Repairs like Lombard, consisting of landscaping, building 2 new tennis courts and walks and horseshoe courts; also provided a shelter for… read more
A partnership between the Forest Service and Works Progress Administration resulted in a rudimentary picnic shelter and campground at Namekagon Lake in northern Wisconsin’s Chequamegon National Forest. Originally, the shelter had changing rooms at each end which were later removed…. read more
From the Friends of Nickerson State Park website: “the Civilian Conservation Corps, (CCC) constructed the first roads, camping sites, parking and picnic areas near Flax Pond. CCC workers also planted 88,000 white pine hemlock and spruce trees.” Hathitrust.org: “Extensive developments… read more
Multiple New Deal agencies worked to develop the North Chagrin Reservation outside Cleveland, Ohio. “Over the course of the 1930s the reservation was modernized with graded roads, permanent trails, sewage and water infrastructure, and shelter houses, much of this construction… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the shelter house in 1935. The structure is classified as parks rustic.
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laborers completed the shelter house that overlooks the Ohio River. The shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The Shelter House/Chapel was constructed with native limestone in 1937 as part of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) project and renovated in 1984. The one-story, asymmetrical Mission-style chapel now houses the cemetery office. Oriented west, the building features an L-shaped… read more
According to the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs, “After the state acquired the land, it was reforested with groves of pines which were planted by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s. The CCC also built the… read more
These shelters were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), designed in park rustic style by Denzel Doggett. One was constructed in 1933, the other between 1935 and 1936.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed this structure in 1935, under the supervision of Denzel Doggett. In consists of stone support piers, a post, and beam walls. The CCC designed and constructed the shelter with park rustic style.
Acquired by the City of Portland in 1930, the ten-acre Overlook Park required improvements during the Depression years if it were to serve adequately the north Portland Overlook neighborhood, which had reached full development during the 1920s real estate boom…. read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Overlook shelter on Brian Head Peak in the Dixie National Forest in 1935. The rustic stone shelter at 11,300 feet provides a panoramic view of the Cedar Breaks, which were declared a national… read more