Built in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps company quartered at Camp South Fork, the Parker Meadows Shelter is typical of “rustic” style trail shelters or fire guard shelters constructed on the National Forest during the period. Constructed along an… read more
“Conservation efforts began in the river valley in 1907 when the Patapsco State Forest Reserve was established. During the Depression years of the 1930s, President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) planted trees and built trails, picnic areas, campsites… read more
“In the 1930s, with the advent of the Great Depression and with the nation’s natural resources in jeopardy due to poor environmental practices, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was created. At Pere Marquette, the CCC built many buildings and shelters,… read more
“Perrot State Park is a state park in Wisconsin’s Driftless Area at the confluence of the Trempealeau and Mississippi Rivers. The 1,270-acre (514 ha) park features spectacular views of steep limestone bluffs and the river valleys.” CCC work: roads, campground,… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps built recreation facilities at the Robber’s Cave State Park. “Located four miles north of Wilburton on State Highway 2, Robbers Cave State Park, originally Latimer State Park (name changed in 1936), encompasses more than eight thousand… read more
The WPA was involved with development projects in Rocky Neck as well as other Connecticut state parks. The “356-foot long Rocky Neck Park Pavilion was the largest of all Depression-era Works Progress Administration public works projects constructed in Connecticut.” (lcweb2.loc.gov)… read more
The CCC worked to develop Savoy Mountain State Forest during the 1930s. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “Savoy Mountain State Forest was created in 1918 with the purchase of 1,000 acres of this abandoned farmland…. read more
The WPA built a bathing pavilion at Scarborough Beach. The precise location of the structure, if it remains, is unclear.
The beach shelter was completed in 1935 by CCC laborers. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built a shelter and picnic facilities at Mount Kearsarge between 1933-1942.
Among the 26 WPA projects in Allegheny County approved in Sept. 1935 were two allocations for improvements to South Park, which lies about 10 miles south of downtown Pittsburgh. The allocations were approved for “construction of a grandstand,” for which… read more
The Butternut Grove Shelter was completed in 1934 by CCC laborers. The shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The Donaldson Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1934. In 1940 the shelter was moved and remodeled by CCC laborers. The CCC workers added fireplaces and a comfort station. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The refreshment stand was completed by CCC laborers in 1934.The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The service building was completed by CCC laborers in 1940. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The Sycamore Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935.The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
The shelter was completed by WPA labores in 1936. The L-shaped shelter was constructed out of local stone. The WPA also completed a comfort nearby the shelter. The comfort station is unaltered besides the handicapped access ramps that were added… read more
According to the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation, “The CCC improved the nation’s natural and human resources and also created opportunities for the public to recreate and appreciate a healthy outdoor experience. At Tolland ‘Pinecone Johnnies’ built access roads,… read more
The picnic shelter, commonly known as Big Log Shelter, was completed in 1936. It was started as a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) project but was abandoned in 1935. The building was then completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The… read more
The Canyon shelter was completed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.