1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Clarkco State Park - Quitman MS
    "Clarkco is one of Mississippi's eight original state parks. It was constructed in 1938 by Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1437, which, with other CCC companies, stayed in barracks in a camp along U.S. Hwy 45 within the park. Four of the original cabins and two large picnic shelters built by the CCC men are still in use. Unfortunately the original water tower and lookout tower fell into ruins and were removed... A side trail branches off from the lake circuit trail at the Island Rest Area, leading in 0.8 mile to the site of the CCC camp, which was used between...
  • Clifty Falls State Park - Madison IN
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1597 was active at Clifty Falls from November 1933 until 1938. The CCC built roads, trails, gatehouses, shelters, barns, and more. To enhance the outdoors experience projects exhibited designs that were rustic and harmonious with their surroundings, using native materials.
  • Clifty Falls State Park: Shelter House - Madison IN
    The Shelter House is located at Clifty Falls. It was completed  by CCC laborers between 1935 and 1936. The style of the shelter is classified as Parks Rustic.
  • Colman Playground Shelter House - Seattle WA
    During the late 1930s, with funds from the WPA, the Seattle Park Department upgraded Colman Playground. The largest component of the improvement project was the construction of a new shelter house near the southwest corner of the playground. WPA workers began constructing the shelter house in 1937. Designed by Seattle architect Arthur Wheatley, the two-story, reinforced concrete structure housed a playroom, caretaker's room, and storage room on its lower level, and a social room, office area, and restrooms on its upper level. A plaque on the north side of the building reads: "Built by Works Progress Administration, 1936-1937." Despite the...
  • Colorado National Monument: Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter - Grand Junction CO
    The Devils Kitchen Picnic Shelter in Colorado National Monument was built by  the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1941. It is unusually large, with three sandstone fireplaces, and includes a comfort station (restrooms). The shelter was built in National Park Service Rustic style. Much of the material came from Rim Rock Drive construction. Construction was carried out by CCC enrollees from Camp NM-2-C in the monument and led by LEMs (Local Experienced Men) with the requisite craft skills, reputedly stonemasons of Italian descent.      
  • Colton Point State Park - Wellsboro PA
    "On the west rim of Pine Creek Gorge, the Pennsylvania Grand Canyon, the 368-acre Colton Point State Park resonates with the rustic charm of the Civilian Conservation Corps era of the 1930s. The rugged overlooks offer great views of the canyon."   (www.dcnr.state.pa.us/)
  • Como Lake Park Rustic Shelter - Lancaster NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed this rustic shelter house in the 1930s for Como Lake Park in Lancaster, New York. More information is needed to determine the present status of the shelter and its location within the park.  
  • Cooper Spur Trail Shelter - Mount Hood National Forest OR
    The Cooper Spur Trail Shelter was one of several shelters built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) for the use of hikers on the Timberline Trail. The stone hut contains a fireplace with chimney allowing a couple of people to shelter in a storm.  It lies on the northeast flank of Mount Hood. ".... It was probably built by the Cooper Spur Camp, a side camp of Camp Wyeth at Cascade Locks. The native stone shelter is located on the Hood River Ranger District, about 1 mile south of the Cloud Cap Inn and 50 yards from the intersection of the...
  • Corlears Hook Park - New York NY
    The CWA constructed this park at Corlears Hook. From a 1934 New York City Parks Department press release: "Facilities: An open shelter is to be erected. There are four handball, four horse-shoe pitching, one volley ball, two basketball and shuffle board courts. This area, which adjoins a lodging house with accommodation for 1800 men, has been planned to provide recreation for the unusually large number of men residing in this particular district." The amphitheater, known as the East River Amphitheater, was built in 1941. At least one of the playgrounds was replaced in 1969.
  • Cumberland Falls State Resort Park: Gorge Overlook Shelter – Corbin KY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps built a small shelter above the Eagle Falls Trail (Trail #9) overlooking Cumberland Falls and the gorge downstream.
  • Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter - Eagle Point OR
    The Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter was built in 1936 by the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) on the Ashland Ranger District of the Rogue River National Forest. The structure is significant for its association with the CCC activities in recreational development in southwestern Oregon, as part of the federal government's response to the Great Depression. Submitted as part of a multiple property submission, "U.S. Forest Service Historic Structures on the Rogue River National Forest, Oregon," the Dead Indian Soda Springs Shelter represents its historic context, "CCC/FERA Recreation Development on the Rogue River National Forest 1933 to 1942." The building...
  • Dells of the Eau Claire County Park - Aniwa WI
    Dells of the Eau Claire County Park has significant New Deal resources in the areas of recreation, conservation, landscape architecture, and architecture thanks to the work of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Between 1935 and 1942, the CCC greatly enhanced the park as it designated and constructed the north park entrance; constructed two small trail-side shelters, a set of stone steps, a stone stairway, a foot bridge, a pumphouse, an overlook, and the Combination Building. These resources are still extant and contribute to the historic character and significance of the park. The CCC also designated parking areas with massive boulders;...
  • Depew Park Improvements - Peekskill NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve Peekskill, New York's Depew Park and Fort Hill Park during the 1930s. One project (involving either/both parks) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: "Work includes constructing comfort station, shelter building, and fireplace; performing masonry, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work; installing water pipe, drinking fountains, and edging around running track; painting and roofing; removing stone wall." WPA Official Project No.: 665-21-2-540.
  • Devou Park Shelter House - Covington KY
    Also known as Stone Shelter, the Devou Park shelter house was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), as part of a $97,251 grant to the city for park improvements. The shelter house, constructed of native fieldstone and containing a large fireplace, was ready for use by spring 1939."
  • Dolliver Memorial State Park - Lehigh IA
    "C.C.C. Company 2725 established camp DSP-3 (now SP-6) in Dolliver Memorial State Park on August 7, 1934, and immediately set to work constructing a series of barracks (Fig,.10) and a shop (Fig. 11). Aerial photography of Webster County from 1939 by the A.A.A. (Agricultural Adjustment Agency – a New Deal program to pay farmers to reduce their crop production) captured the area of the C.C.C. camp at Dolliver shorly after the barracks were constructed (Fig 12a). It shows the loge, cabins, the mess hall, rest room facilities, shortly after they were constructed and the remains of a baseball diamond. It...
  • Eagle Creek Overlook Group Site - Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR
    In 1937, CCC workers from Camp Cascade Locks began improvements on recently acquired park land to extend the Eagle Creek campground and picnic area to the shores of the Columbia. These twenty-one acres were acquired to provide access to land overlooking Bonneville Dam. This new campground and picnic area is referred to as the Eagle Creek Overlook Group Site. In addition to landscaped trails and new picnic facilities and campsites, the CCC workers built the Eagle Creek Overlook Shelter to serve as a community kitchen, picnic shelter and restroom facility. As a 1984 US Forest Service report states: "The overlook building...
  • Echo Lake Park Structures - Idaho Springs CO
    This park surrounding Echo Lake in the Colorado Rocky Mountains contains two structures built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC): a stone pavilion and a concession stand. They were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1995, along with the Echo Lake lodge, an older building that is not from the New Deal era.
  • Echo Valley State Park - West Union IA
    Echo Valley State Park is a 100-acre natural area, originally built by the CCC. On December 12, 1935 the Park was named Echo Valley. A stone and log shelter 35 ft X 27 Ft. with a stone fireplace and 945 square foot porch were built in 1936 and are extant. The shelter house overlooked the man made lake. The CCC also planted 310 shrubs and 75 trees. In April 1939 1,500 trees were planted by Echo Valley Chapter of FFA. In 1962 a CCC lime kiln was destroyed. The park was abandoned from 1970 to 1984 due to lack of state funds....
  • Eden Park Shelter - Cincinnati OH
    The historic shelter building in Cincinnati's Eden Park is located behind PlayHouse in the Park with a playground, pool, and basketball court attached. It has some beautiful mural artwork as well.
  • Edmundson Park - Oskaloosa IA
    An inscription on a bronze plaque on the Flag Pole (top of hill) reads on either side: West Side “This Park was made possible by a bequest to Oskaloosa by James DePew Edmundson 1936.” East Side-  “How dear to my heart are the scenes of my childhood.” "This $100,000 Edmundson Memorial Park honors two famous men in our County – our first sheriff, William Edmundson, 24 and his son, James Depew Edmundson, 25 whose gift made it possible when in 1937, he donated $20, 000 toward this Park.   All of the labor was done by about 120 men in our...
  • Elk Neck State Park - North East MD
    At Elk Neck State Park, visitors can enjoy swimming in the Chesapeake Bay, boating on the Elk River, fishing, crabbing, camping, hiking, and biking. Hunting is also allowed, in-season. Of course, this recreational resource did not always exist. It was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (Camps S 5, Company 1363) beginning in 1937. The CCC boys built trails, roads, parking areas, water fountains, and fireplaces. The work of the CCC continues to serve people who visit and enjoy Elk Neck State Park today.
  • Ellicott Island Park Facilities - Tonawanda NY
    Erie County Department of Parks, Recreation, and Forestry states that "The majority of the original park was acquired through the purchasing of private land and County tax foreclosures (1936 & 1937).... WPA crews built structural construction. The WPA structures included the Boathouse & concession stand (1939), shelters, recreation facilities, and the boat dock. Ellicott Island, A.K.A Island at "three mile bend" was constructed to make the creek more navigable and divert canal traffic. Charles Ellicott, a Landscape Architect, heavily influenced the island in the design process. The spur in development in the late 30's through the 40's created the peak popularity...
  • Elmore State Park - Lake Elmore VT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop Vermont's Elmore State Park during the 1930s. To this day, a "CCC-built beach house with a community room ... can be rented for group functions."
  • Ferdinand State Forest Shelter House - Ferdinand IN
    Stone foundation, stone walls, hipped roof, asphalt shingles, stone chimney. Very similar to Homing Ridge Shelter house at Salamonie State Forest, except only one fireplace. Excellent example of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) mentionable development in a state forest. Exemplify styles’ workmanship. Constructed by CCC Co.1513 in 1936.
  • Fireplace of States - Bemidji MN
    The Fireplace of States was constructed under the U.S. Federal Works Program, begun by the Civil Works Administration (CWA). The A.P. reported in Aug. 1934: Stones from every State and from many places of historical or unusual interest in other part of the world will be a part of the "Fireplace of States," nearing completion on the shores of Lake Bemidji, in the heart of Minnesota's tourist region.   Started last Winter as a CWA project, the fireplace and a log cabin housing be finished within a few weeks under a special appropriation of the Federal Government.   Stones used include one from Fort McHenry, the birthplace...
  • Fish Lake Shelter - Eagle Point OR
    The "rustic"-style Fish Lake Shelter, or "community kitchen" was constructed as part of a larger forest Service campground complex by Company 1682 of the Civilian Conservation Corps (headquartered at Camp South Fork, near Butte Falls) in the summer of 1936. Over sixty men worked on the campground development over a four-month period. (Brown 1971, Review of CCC work projects, 1936). The picnic shelter served the increasing number of people who traveled to Fish Lake during the summer months.
  • Flagstaff Mountain: Halfway House Renovation - Boulder CO
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) renovated the Halfway House, located halfway up the Flagstaff Mountain Road, in 1933.  It includes a room, patio, picnic area and restroom. The Halfway House was originally built in 1919 by the Lion's Club of Boulder. Exactly what work was done by the CCC is uncertain to us. Halfway House was built in the "park rustic" style of the early 20th century, with massive stones and heavy timbers.  The rock is local golden sandstone. The building belongs to the City of Boulder and is rented for wedding and other events.
  • Flandrau State Park - New Ulm MN
    According to the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, the WPA built several stone structures that visitors can still enjoy today. The Wikipedia page for Flandrau State Park indicates that both the WPA and CCC engaged in extensive work in the park, e.g., creating trails, planting trees, and building a dam.
  • Fontainebleau State Park - Mandeville LA
    "On the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, this 2800-acre park encompasses the remains of a nineteenth-century plantation, Fontainebleau, named after the Parisian forest... The plantation was converted to a park beginning in 1938, one of Louisiana’s first state parks. Originally called Tchefuncte State Park, it opened in 1943 as Fontainebleau State Park. The State Parks Commission hired landscape architect William W. Wells to design the master plan, which was partially implemented by the Civilian Conservation Corp. The plan included group campsites, numerous Creole-influenced brick and rustic wood buildings, a beach, and a picnic area with an open-air shelter. An access road...
  • Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park - Mandan ND
    "Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park is located seven miles (11 km) south of Mandan, North Dakota. The park is home to On-A-Slant Indian Village, the blockhouses and the Custer house. President Theodore Roosevelt signed the deed to the land to the state in 1907 as Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park... In 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps built a visitor center, shelters, and roads. They also reconstructed military blockhouses and placed cornerstones to mark where fort buildings once stood, as well as replicating Mandan earthen lodges. Additional reproductions have since been built on the site creating a replica Mandan village, called "On-a-Slant Village."...
  • Fort Hill Park Improvements - Peekskill NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration worked to improve Peekskill, New York's Fort Hill Park and Depew Park during the 1930s. One project (involving either/both parks) was described by the WPA in its project rolls: "Work includes constructing comfort station, shelter building, and fireplace; performing masonry, carpentry, plumbing, and electrical work; installing water pipe, drinking fountains, and edging around running track; painting and roofing; removing stone wall." WPA Official Project No.: 665-21-2-540.
  • Fort Mountain State Park - Chatsworth GA
    Fort Mountain State Park in northern Georgia was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the 1930s. Part of the Cohutta Mountain Range, the park gained its name for a stone structure located along a mountaintop in the area.   The park officially opened in 1936. The CCC built the park’s infrastructure and constructed many of its facilities such as the lake and recreational buildings. CCC work crews also did forestry work and made hiking trails. “One of the most notable contributions by the CCC,” according to Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites, “is the large stone fire tower that stands...
  • Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge - Fort Worth TX
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) is primarily responsible for building the Fort Worth Nature Center and Refuge (FWNC&R) which is located just inside the city limits of Fort Worth, TX. CCC Company 1816, Lake Worth Camp SP-31-T served in this area from 1934-1938. It's projects planned and supervised by the National Park Service included roads, bridges, bridle paths, nature trails, picnic areas and stone shelter houses.
  • Foster Park - San Angelo TX
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) put more than 100 men to work developing Foster Park on Spring Creek southwest of San Angelo. The 10-acre park received $11,000 in improvements made possible by the CWA. In Feb. 1934 the San Angelo Morning Times noted that work was being "completed rapidly." It is probable that the CWA constructed many of the stone facilities that still serve the park today, including picnic benches, fireplaces, and a sizable shelter.
  • Frances Slocum State Forest Picnic Area Shelter House - Peru IN
    Stone and concrete foundation, stone and timber walls, hipped roof, and asphalt shingles. Constructed in 1939 by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 589 (encamped at Salamonie River State Forest) on bluff alone Mississinewa River – now overlooking Mississinewa Reservoir (constructed by Army Corps in 1960s).
  • Gazebo - Cooper TX
    The Works Progress Administration built the gazebo in downtown Cooper between 1938 and 1940 as documented by a plaque on the gazebo.
  • Genesee Park - Golden CO
    Genessee is the largest park in the Denver Mountain Parks system. It was established in 1913. "During the New Deal, two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps operated near Genesee beginning in 1935. The large stone shelter near Genesee Mountain, completed in 1939 by the CCC workers, still provides space for group picnicking and family or organization events. With a capacity of 300, it is the largest shelter in the Mountain Parks; reservations for use are available by fee."  (https://mountainparkshistory.org)
  • Goddard Memorial Park Improvements - Warwick RI
    WPA crews built fireplaces and reproduction Narragansett Indian villages for Warwick's 300th anniversary in 1936. Crews also built a field house in the park, but it does not appear to be extant. The precise location of fireplaces is unclear in the roughly 400 acre park.
  • Grandad Bluff Shelter - La Crosse WI
    "Along the Upper Mississippi, WPA employees built ... the stone shelter atop Grandad Bluff in La Crosse, Wisconsin ..."
  • Granville State Forest - Granville MA
    Prior to colonial settlement, the area of Granville State Forest was inhabited by the Tunxis Native American tribe. In the mid-1700s, English pioneer Samuel Hubbard purchased the land for farming and pasturage, and the river that runs through the forest is now named the Hubbard River. The property was bought and owned by Tiffany and Pickett Lumber Company near the turn of the 20th century. In the 1920s, the Commonwealth obtained the land from the lumber company but little improvements were made before the CCC Camp was established. The Civilian Conservation Corps began work on Granville State Forest in 1933. CCC...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7