A. H. Stephens State Historic Park – Crawfordville GA

“A. H. Stephens Historic Park contains tent and trailer sites, picnic sites, and fishing ponds, as well as a nature trail and rustic cabins, and was mostly built by the Civilian Conservation Corps, beginning in 1933.” (wikipedia) The park “is… read more

Abe Andrews Park – Norman OK

Formerly known as Norman City Park, this site was established in the late 1890s and considerably improved during the New Deal: “Between 1935 and 1937, under the New Deal programs, several items were constructed in the southwest portion of the… read more

Alley Spring, Ozark National Scenic Riverways – Eminence MO

At Alley Spring, the CCC constructed many trails, rock walls, 11 buildings, campgrounds, roads, restored the mill including replacing the floor, and diverted the slough adjacent to the mill to insure that it did not silt in. The CCC unit… read more

Badger Park – Shullsburg WI

Badger Park

“The landscape was planned and supervised by Phillip Wyman, a landscape architect from Milwaukee in the 1930’s. This park holds an important geographical position in the visual landscape of the city. Badger Park is an 81/2 acre park, developed in… read more

Big Spring State Park – Big Spring TX

“Dramatic views off of the 200-foot bluff and from the CCC-built loop road are among the featured attractions of this 382-acre park. Early morning or sunset, joggers, walkers and cyclists circle the loop, enjoying these views as they exercise. An… read more

Bonham State Park – Bonham TX

The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam… read more

Booker T. Washington State Park – Chattanooga TN

Constructed with funds and labor from the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Booker T. Washington State Park was established in 1938 as a segregated recreational facility for African Americans, the second such facility in the state… read more

Breakheart Reservation – Saugus MA

The CCC conducted extensive work on Breakheart Reservation to turn it into a public park. From the Friends of Breakheart Reservation website: “[H]undreds of men lived and worked here, paid $30 a month, out of which they kept $5 and… read more

Burlingame State Park – Charlestown RI

“During the 1930s, taking advantage of the public works programs offered by the Depression-era New Deal, Burlingame became home to the 141st Company of the Civilian Conservation Corps. It was the first, the state headquarters, and one of five such… read more

Cacapon State Park – Berkeley Springs WV

Ole Inn at Cacapon

According to the West Virginia Department of Commerce: “Cacapon Resort State Park was the first CCC state park to be completed. Camp Morgan was established October 4, 1934 in what is now the main picnic area in the park. The… read more

Camp Sisters Improvements – Camp Sherman OR

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp Sisters (F-110, Company #1454) at Camp Sherman, Oregon operated near the headwaters of the Metolius River in Jefferson County from 1933 to 1942. It was just one of the average 60 CCC camps that… read more

Camp Upton Improvements – Yaphank NY

Now the site of the US Department of Energy’s Brookhaven National Laboratory, Camp Upton (near Yaphank, New York), was originally “created in 1917 to house and train soldiers for the United States.” Camp Upton and its surroundings was the site… read more

CCC Camp Cross – Sharon CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Cross housed Co. 182, S-51, and operated from June 20, 1933 to Apr. 1, 1941. It was based “in the rock-strewn valley of the Housatonic River.” According to the CCC Museum, work included the… read more

Cedars of Lebanon State Park – Lebanon TN

The creation of the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Tennessee was a multifaceted joint project of the Resettlement Administration, the CCC, the forestry division, NPS and the WPA: “Project development began in the fall of 1935, with forestry personnel,… read more

Cedarville State Forest – Brandywine MD

The nearly 2,700 acres encompassing what is now Cedarville State Forest was originally purchased as a forest demonstration area by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in 1930. Located in Charles and Prince George’s County, CCC project S-54 was initiated… read more

Chadron State Park – Chadron NE

According to CCC alumnus Charles E. Humberger, quoted in the Nebraska History journal, “guest cabins were constructed and improvements made at the swimming pool and picnic and recreation area. Roads and trails were improved and drainage structures built. Brush dams… read more

Charles R. Adams Park – Atlanta GA

Charles R. Adams Park is a 32-acre public city park located in southwest Atlanta, Georgia. The park is surrounded by the neighborhood of Cascade Heights. Construction of the park began in the mid-1930s, and the dedication ceremony took place in… read more

Charlton Flats Campground, Angeles National Forest – Arcadia CA

“It was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a product of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, that turned Charlton Flat and Chilao into prime recreation areas. A CCC camp was set up at Charlton Flat in June 1933, and another… read more

Chemin-a-Haut State Park – Bastrop LA

“The park’s history is tied to Camp Morehouse, a Civilian Conservation Corps camp that was located nearby, and a company of young men who began construction of the park in the 1930s. The Morehouse Enterprise reports June 8, 1933 that… read more

Chenango Valley State Park – Chenango Forks NY

“[Stone] buildings were erected by workers of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. Two programs of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal program to pull the country out of the Great Depression. They began working in 1933 — only… read more

Chickasaw National Recreation Area, Platt National Park – Sulphur OK

The CCC was extensively involved in development of the portion of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area formerly known as Platt National Park: “Originally known as Sulphur Springs Reservation, and later renamed Platt National Park, the park was established in 1902… read more

Page 1 of 712345...Last »