The Works Progress Administration built facilities in Cascades Park in Bloomington, Indiana. The original construction included drinking fountains, shelters, picnic tables of limestone slabs. Today the park spans 68 acres with original features, hiking trails, softball fields.
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) contributed greatly to the development of the park system in Woonsocket, R.I. Cass Park benefited as the result of multiple improvements. Woonsocket, RI: A Centennial History, states: The Woonsocket Call of September 28, 1935,… read more
One of three Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camps located in the Columbia River Gorge, CCC Camp Benson occupied what was then the City of Portland’s Benson Park between 1933 and 1935.Enrollees at this early CCC camp made significant contributions to… read more
Members of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) #1258 arrived at CCC Camp Saddle Mountain near Seaside and Cannon Beach OR in the summer of 1935. The majority of the Company’s enrollees were from New York. Although the CCC workers occupied tents… read more
The creation of the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Tennessee was a multifaceted joint project of the Resettlement Administration, the CCC, the forestry division, NPS and the WPA: “Project development began in the fall of 1935, with forestry personnel,… read more
The nearly 2,700 acres encompassing what is now Cedarville State Forest was originally purchased as a forest demonstration area by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in 1930. Located in Charles and Prince George’s County, CCC project S-54 was initiated… read more
According to CCC alumnus Charles E. Humberger, quoted in the Nebraska History journal, “guest cabins were constructed and improvements made at the swimming pool and picnic and recreation area. Roads and trails were improved and drainage structures built. Brush dams… read more
“It was the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a product of President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, that turned Charlton Flat and Chilao into prime recreation areas. A CCC camp was set up at Charlton Flat in June 1933, and another… read more
Between 1937 and 1939 the WPA made improvements to Chase Park in Seminole, Oklahoma. The improvements included the construction of a wading pool and bathhouse. The Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey notes that “…The workers who built the bathhouse and pool… read more
“[Stone] buildings were erected by workers of the Civilian Conservation Corps and the Works Progress Administration. Two programs of Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal program to pull the country out of the Great Depression. They began working in 1933 — only… read more
The CCC was extensively involved in development of the portion of the Chickasaw National Recreation Area formerly known as Platt National Park: “Originally known as Sulphur Springs Reservation, and later renamed Platt National Park, the park was established in 1902… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop during the 1930s what is now known as Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park. NYSParks.com: “The original core of land around and including Canopus Lake was developed through the use of the Civilian… read more
Excellent example of recreational development in a state forest constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 513 in 1934.
Some of these buildings may pre-date the New Deal, but between 1933 and 1939, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) engaged in considerable lumber milling activity while encamped here, and weekly built some of the sheds, at least (They built lumber… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a swimming pool in Greenville’s Cleveland Park between 1939 and 1940. The city officially dedicated the pool on June 26, 1940. The total cost of the project amounted to $63,000. Children paid a dime… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1597 was active at Clifty Falls from November 1933 until 1938. The CCC built roads, trails, gatehouses, shelters, barns, and more. To enhance the outdoors experience projects exhibited designs that were rustic and harmonious with… read more
The Lilly Memorial Lookout was completed in 1936 by CCC laborers. The picnic area contains a stone seat that stands 4′ high. The picnic area also contains 18″ stone fences.
The CCC laborers completed the picnic site in 1936. The site contains stone walls surrounding the picnic benches.
In operation from Dec. 9, 1933 to Jul. 30, 1941, C.C.C. Camp Filley conducted extensive development work in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, Connecticut. Camp Hadley, Company #2101, also operated on this site, from Sept. 5, 1935 to Apr…. read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access to the cave itself,… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access for visitors to the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped construct the Cooper River Park in Pennsauken Township NJ in 1940. “A WPA project to give Pennsauken, N.J., its first public park and recreation facilities costing $350,000 has been approved,” a reporter for Parks… read more
The West Virginia Department of Commerce writes: “The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and… read more
Atop the hill that is now known as Coronado Heights Park sits an iconic castle, picnic areas, and restrooms that were constructed by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the 1930s. Indeed in 1936 the Lindsborg Historical Society sold… read more
Cove Lake State Park, originally planned as Fort Mountain Park, was the third joint effort of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the National Parks Service (NPS). The initial 668-acre park was built along the… read more
“In 1937, the old pavilion was finally replaced with a Mediterranean style brick and concrete building designed by Huntington architect David Dusenberry that featured men’s and women’s locker rooms, showers and lavatories. The locker rooms would be in the two… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) conducted multiple work projects at Crowe Park in Maynard, Massachusetts in 1934, including removing rocks and stumps; grading land for parking space; painting its grandstands; and constructing tennis courts. In 1935 F.E.R.A. labor “erected… read more