- Bonham, TX
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Parks and Recreation, Infrastructure and Utilities, Auxiliary Civic Facilities, Campgrounds and Cabins, Lakes and Ponds, Picnic and Other Facilities, Landscaping and Tree Planting, Lodges, Ranger Stations and Visitor Centers, Paths and Trails, Dams, Roads, Bridges, and Tunnels
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Joe C. Lair, William C. Caldwell
The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam to impound a sixty-five-acre lake. CCC Company 894 constructed buildings of local cream-colored limestone and Eastern red cedar, working under the supervision of Bonham architect Joe C. Lair and San Antonio architect William C. Caldwell. The overall design exhibits a WPA rustic style.
The CCC built the entrance portal, concession building (currently the park headquarters and storage facility), waterfront storage building (currently the boat house), pavilion and dance terrace, picnic tables, barbecue pits, water fountains, vehicle and foot bridges, culverts and the water tower.
Source noteshttps://texascccparks.org/parks/bonham/ https://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/bonham/park_history
Site originally submitted by Larry D. Moore on November 5, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site