CCC crews built this small recreational lake on Mill Creek in Mark Twain National Forest in 1940. It is at least partially spring-fed and tends to be clear. The dam has a simple concrete spillway. In addition to the lake,… read more
“… [P]icnic shelters are integral to the public image and identity of West Virginia’s New Deal projects. The shelters also represent the essence of rustic architectural and landscape design. Among the most impressive examples is the Long Branch Picnic Shelter… read more
CCC Camp SP-1, 1191 was established in Macedonia Brook State Park in 1935. The CCC “did much site development here in the 1930s, including construction of a pavilion and a carriage road with massive retaining walls constructed without mortar.” (www.townofkentct.org)… read more
WPA Bulletin, 1937: “Picnic Cave Unusual Feature of Playground Lunenburg — An underground cave equipped with a fireplace and picnic facilities for 40 persons is the outstanding feature of Lunenburg’s WPA-built recreation centre at Marshall Field. The grounds also boasts… read more
In 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Recreation Center at McCormick’s Creek State Park. The building served as the CCC’s Camp 589 Recreation Hall. After the CCC vacated the camp, a WPA project adapted it into a nature museum in… read more
At Camp McCormick, CCC laborers completed a Dining Hall (1935) as well as cabins #22-#26 (1934-35). The buildings are classified as in the Parks Rustic style.
Camp Na Wa Kwa was constructed by the CCC. In 1935, CCC laborers completed a log cabin, the dining hall, and cabins, all in the Parks Rustic style.
The Old Concession Stand was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the Old Concession Stand is classified as Parks Rustic.
In 1851, Dr. John McLoughlin formally platted Oregon City reserving land along the city’s prominent bluff for use as a park and naming that public amenity the Promenade. For decades, the Promenade’s minimally improved walkway provided a view of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) contributed to the improvement of Oklahoma City’s McMechan Park in 1940. “McMechan Park at Oklahoma City, Okla., will be expanded to a 17-acre development,” a reporter noted in January 1940, “according to plans disclosed by… read more
Medicine Lake National Wildlife Refuge is located in northeastern Montana between the Missouri River and the Canadian border. Medicine Lake NWR encompasses 31,702 acres and consists of the 28,438-acre north tract, which includes Medicine Lake, and seventeen smaller water units…. read more
“A significant addition to the park occurred in 1941, with the construction of a large stone pavilion on high ground west of the memorial grove. Architect Leroy Bradley designed the pavilion, and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided the labor… read more
The Middlesex Fells Reservation spans multiple towns north of Boston. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), Civil Works Administration (CWA), and Works Progress Administration (WPA) were each active in developing the area. Massachusetts Metropolitan District Commission annual reports detail the work… read more
The seven-acre Montclair Park in Oakland was built with the aid of the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938-40. This gem of a park lies just north of Montclair Village in the Oakland hills and below Montclair Elementary School. … read more
Stone foundation, board and batten walls, wood shingles, gabled roof, and stone chimney. Virtually identical to Bryant Creek shelter house. Constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements Morro Bay State Park, as it did throughout California’s new state park system. These included picnic areas, an entrance road, comfort staton, ranger lodge, and stone walls. The work was continued by… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built over fifty picnic areas in Mt. Diablo State Park. Most are small sites tucked into the trees along the roads up the mountain, each with a couple tables and stoves done in rustic style… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements to the newly-formed Mount Tamalpais State Park on Mount Tamalpais – a favorite hiking and recreational spot for San Franciscans all the way back to the Gold Rush era (1850s). The California… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was very active in the Coronado National Forest during the 1930s. Coronado National Forest is discontinuous across southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico because the forested areas occur only on isolated mountain ranges called “Sky… read more
The CCC did extensive work in Muir Woods National Monument. The National Park Service site summarizes their activity: “The men began work in Muir Woods and the surrounding Tamalpais State Park. Projects included a revetment (rockwork stream banks) in Redwood… read more