- DeSoto National Forest, MS
- Site Type:
- Picnic and Other Facilities, Parks and Recreation
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
A recreation area was constructed in the Biloxi Unit of the DeSoto National forest, including a bath house with water from an artesian well, and nine picnic areas with graveled paths. Tables, chairs and cooking pits were planned from brick or stone, and a picnic shed of “native materials” was under construction. The site was dedicated in June 1937. Located ¼ mile east of old Hwy 49 and 23 miles south of Wiggins, the site was constructed by camp 10, a CCC camp comprised of African Americans. The area cost approximately $14,000 and included the bath house with native cypress showers, beach on the river swimming hole, picnic shelter, picnic spots, playgrounds and camping sites. Rustic bridges, footlogs, and benches were throughout the area.
U. S. Forest Service Construct Large Picnic Grounds. (Sep 24, 1936). Stone County Enterprise, p. 1.
Dedication of the Big Biloxi Recreational Area. (Jun 17, 1937). Stone County Enterprise, p. 1.
Site originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 29, 2019.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site