Fontainebleau State Park – Mandeville LA

“On the north shore of Lake Ponchartrain, this 2800-acre park encompasses the remains of a nineteenth-century plantation, Fontainebleau, named after the Parisian forest… The plantation was converted to a park beginning in 1938, one of Louisiana’s first state parks. Originally… read more

Forest Service Ranger Station & Horsethief Basin Recreation Area – Crown King AZ

Crown King Forest Ranger Station

“Named for the historic mining district, the Crown King Ranger Station includes numerous structures and buildings built by the Civilian Conservation Corps between 1934 and 1938. The office and residence were designed in the Bungalow/Craftsman style with timbered gables and… read more

Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park – Mandan ND

“Fort Abraham Lincoln State Park is located seven miles (11 km) south of Mandan, North Dakota. The park is home to On-A-Slant Indian Village, the blockhouses and the Custer house. President Theodore Roosevelt signed the deed to the land to the… read more

Fort Churchill Restoration – Lyon NV

The Civilian Conservation (CCC) helped the National Park Service reconstruct Fort Churchill in the 1930s. Fort Churchill was an 1860s army post built along the Overland Emigrant Trail, which was abandoned in 1869 when its usefulness had passed. Afterward, it… read more

Fort Dix – NJ

Dating from WWI, Fort Dix [or, as it was known during the pre-WWII era, Camp Dix] provided training for soldiers enlisted in the U.S. Army. According to a Works Progress Administration (WPA) Information Division document, the WPA engaged in “Campwide improvement… read more

Fort Douglas: Recreation Hall & Pool – Salt Lake City UT

Fort Douglas was expanded during the New Deal by the PWA, CCC and WPA.  The WPA added several homes for senior officers (buildings 621-625 on the central parade grounds, along De Trobriand Street) and non-commissioned officers (buildings 658, 600, 664, 665, 666… read more