1 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 105
  • Coronado Heights Improvements - Lindsborg KS
    Atop the hill that is now known as Coronado Heights Park sits an iconic castle, picnic areas, and restrooms that were constructed by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the 1930s. Indeed in 1936 the Lindsborg Historical Society sold the hill for $1 to Saline County so that the WPA could make these improvements. Today the Smoky Valley Historical Association oversees Coronado Heights operations.
  • Coronado Park - Phoenix AZ
    "Phoenix has no shortage of projects. The city’s park system is a major benefactor, with huge undertakings in places like South Mountain Park and Encanto Park and smaller projects, such as a bathhouse in Coronado Park...South Mountain Park near Central Avenue and Baseline Road was home to a CCC camp that employed 4,000 young men between 1933 and 1940. They built lookout points, ramadas, trails and bathrooms that are historical and architectural gems today."
  • Cougar Stadium (former) - Charleroi PA
    Charleroi Stadium, or Cougar Stadium, was built in 1937 as a New Deal project: the Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $36,818 grant for the school construction project in Bradford, whose total cost was $84,311. "By any name, it has been home to Charleroi Area High School athletic teams since it opened on Sept. 10, 1937. That long and memorable chapter in the community's history will end Oct. 22 when Charleroi plays host to Freedom High School in a WPIAL inter-conference game. The Charleroi Area School Board decided earlier this year to close the stadium at the end of the 2010 football season...
  • Council Crest Park - Portland OR
    At over 1,000 feet, Council Crest Park occupies the highest point in the City of Portland. From 1907 to 1929, an amusement park occupied that vantage point. Despite its superior position and streetcar access, it took eight years before the City of Portland could acquire it and another year before it could begin to be improved with WPA labor. The Oregonian, one of the city’s newspapers, announced in March 1938 that a crew of twenty-six WPA workers had started “clearing brush, grubbing undergrowth and opening trails through Council Crest Park” so that it might be available for use by summer. The...
  • Country Club Clubhouse (former) - Rock Hill SC
    "South of town, the WPA built a rustic club building for the 9-hole golf course at a new country club; the building, however, was heavily altered and later burned." The building "served as a city-owned recreation center until its conversion to the Rock Hill Country Club in 1954." (sc.gov)
  • County Fairground Improvements - Dodson MT
    The WPA allocated $16,326 at the end of 1938 to make improvements to the Phillips County Fairgrounds in Dodson, Montana. Gary Winthorpe: "These fairgrounds were actually completed in 1942, not 1939 . They continued to do cosmetics and added an additional attraction. These two things took three years to complete."
  • County Hall (former) - Charleston SC
    What is now Palace Apartments started out as Williamson Mill (a cotton mill)—built in 1902. Sometime after that it was bought and plans were made to convert the building into a county multi-use building (basketball, boxing, tennis, indoor track, concerts, dances, etc.). WPA work included removing the upper part of the building, new roof installation, and upgraded utilities. The WPA spent $250,000 dollars on the project, which is about $4 million in 2013 dollars, so the conversion work must have been extensive. In later years, the county building became a popular venue for professional wrestling.
  • Courtney Callender Playground - New York NY
    This small playground in East Harlem was named after "New York City’s first African American Deputy Commissioner of Cultural Affairs." NYC Parks explains that the City acquired this land in 1936. In June 1937, Parks announced the completion of a new playground on the site: "In Manhattan, at Fifth Avenue between West 130th and West 131st Streets, the new playground is equipped with swings, see-saws, slides, jungle gym, sand tables, playhouses, a rectangular wading pool, handball and shuffleboard courts. There is also a large open play area for group games. Around the perimeter of the playground is a landscape area with...
  • Courtyard Theater - Plano TX
    "In the fall of 1999, the Plano City Council established a tax increment finance district in downtown Plano. Four and a half million dollars of the projected income from the district was earmarked for the creation of the Courtyard Theater. This project is an adaptive re-use of the Cox Annex, a historic structure located in Haggard Park Historic District. The Cox gymnasium/auditorium was built in 1938 as a Works Progress Administration project. Interestingly, it was constructed on almost the exact location of the Civic Auditorium (1909) which had been built by subscriptions pledged by Plano citizens. Here the Lyceum was held...
  • Cove Lake State Park - Caryville TN
    Cove Lake State Park, originally planned as Fort Mountain Park, was the third joint effort of the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA), the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the National Parks Service (NPS). The initial 668-acre park was built along the banks of the lake created by the Caryville Dam (1936). The dam was built to minimize the flooding to Caryville from the Norris Dam (1933-1936) project down stream. Even with the Caryville Dam, some 70 structures including the First Baptist Church and a high school were demolished. In addition, Tennessee Highway 63 and US Highway 25 (Dixie Highway) required relocation....
  • Crab Meadow Beach Pavilion - Northport NY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed the Crab Meadow Beach Pavilion. "In 1937, the old pavilion was finally replaced with a Mediterranean style brick and concrete building designed by Huntington architect David Dusenberry that featured men’s and women’s locker rooms, showers and lavatories. The locker rooms would be in the two wings of the building that were joined by an open-air court. On the roof of the center portion was a sun deck. The cost of the building, which was a WPA project, was split between the State and the Town."
  • Craighead Forest Park - Jonesboro AR
    The history of Craighead Forest Park portraits a close collaboration between the local community and federal government during the Great Depression “to stave off the ravages of poverty, misery and human degradation.” (1) It dates to 1937 when the Young Men’s Civic Club of Jonesboro (YMCC) started working on the project of a community recreational park for locals to enjoy. Through the help of Mr. H.E Remsburg, the areas supervisor for the WPA program, and US Senator Hattie W. Caraway, a $100,000 park development program was granted through the WPA. (2) The Civilian Conservation Corps also worked with the Forestry...
  • Cranston Field - Cranston RI
    A large, vaguely classical styled structure, built by the WPA as Cranston's main stadium. It was designed by Providence architects and engineers Frank P. Sheldon & Son. It is mainly used for high school athletics, but also occasionally hosts larger events.
  • Crawford County Fairgrounds - Girard KS
    "The Crawford County Fairground property currently includes the WPA grandstand and four agricultural buildings plus a series of other animal shelters and associated structures, compactly arranged in neat rows at the center of the property. A dirt road enters the fairgrounds from the north and south... This property was part of Raymond Park, donated to the City of Girard by Mary Winston Raymond. Crawford County constructed a completely new fairgrounds using $32,000 in WPA funds. The facility includes a series of wooden buildings and clerestory barns situated close to a race track. A large grandstand lines the west side of the...
  • Crawford County State Park #1 - Frontenac KS
    "The 418 acre park has a series of gravel roads circulating around reclaimed strip mine pits. Some of the roads terminate in small earthen boat launches into the pit lakes. In 1926 mining company landholders donated the land to the Kansas Forestry, Fish and Game Commission for a 418 acre park. CWA laid out and surfaced roads in 1933-34. CCC leveled strip mine dumps and planted trees in 1934. Now managed by the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Department, the Minded Land Wildlife Area now includes over 13,000 acres in a four county area."
  • Crawford State Park - Farlington KS
    The Crawford State Park in Farlington KS has a nine hundred fifty acre lake built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The park now includes a monument to CCC workers.
  • Crawford State Park CCC Camp - Farlington KS
    "Few vestiges of the camp remain. The site has high potential for archaeological resources. The visible remains of the CCC camp include the base of the water tower and some concrete footings. The water tower base is a rectangular, mortared limestone structure approximately 20 feet tall. An open doorway is centered in the south elevation and a window opening is centered in the north elevation. Concrete footings can be found in the open field N of the water tower, immediately E of the park entrance and south of the park road. 788th Company of the CCC arrived on June 6, 1935....
  • Credit Island Park - Davenport IA
    Credit Island Park is a 450 acre island in the Mississippi River on the south west side of Davenport Iowa. In addition to a natural historic preserve, the park contains a lodge, boat ramp, golf course and many other amenities. The WPA did extensive work in the park in 1935. WPA workers graded and resurfaces roads, worked on the lake and landscaping, and relayed iron pipes.
  • Crescent Beach Stairs - Algoma WI
    The WPA constructed stairs at the south end of Crescent Beach. The stairs display "19 WPA 39" on the top step and bottom slab along with 48 star stone mosaic U.S. flags. The stairs are edged with field stone. Fossils are mounted on the entrance pillars. The stairs begin at the top of a grassy bluff and end in a cedar lined path that leads to the sandy shore of Lake Michigan.
  • Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge - Ellsworth NE
    Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge was created in 1931 under the Hoover Administration, but was not improved until President Franklin Roosevelt came into office in 1933. The refuge lies on the southwestern edge of the Sand Hills of Nebraska and it 45,000+ acres include one of the great wilderness areas of the NWR system. According to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, “The earliest government actions on the Refuge were tree planting and small construction projects by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Projects Administration (WPA). The CCC built several buildings still in use today at the Refuge headquarters....
  • Crispin Center - Wheeling WV
    Crispin Center was constructed with the assistance of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). "Crispin Center - with its large swimming pool, golf shop and Pine Room area - has changed little on the outside. Built in 1937-38 of natural sandstone, much of it quarried locally, the facility stands as a tribute to the quality of work in Depression-era projects."
  • Crispus Attucks Playground - Brooklyn NY
    This playground is named for the first African American to be killed in the American War of Independence. It opened on October 28, 1934, along with two other playgrounds, one in Manhattan and one in the Bronx. The press release announcing the opening ceremonies explained that "All three playgrounds have recreation buildings and are fully equipped with play apparatus for children, and have space for basketball and handball courts. Each of the new playgrounds in Manhattan end Brooklyn will have a wading pool..." In addition to speeches, the opening ceremonies involved a "rendition of the Star Spangled Banner; games and...
  • Crissy Field Landscaping - San Francisco CA
    Continuation of excavation, filling in low areas, constructing new roads, parking areas, garages and playground; landscaping areas in vicinity of officers' and non-commissioned officers' quarters; landscaping and fire prevention work around flying field; construction of one double tennis court in rear of quarters and one double court off east side of barracks--Mooser, p. 83.
  • Crissy Field Painting - San Francisco CA
    Steel brushing and painting Crissy Field buildings #20, 21, 22, 24, 27, 30, and 48. Paint yellow and black checkerboard on roofs of buildings #25 and 29. Paint obstructions and boundary light at Crissy Field.--Mooser, p. 83.
  • Crissy Field Resurfacing and Landscaping - San Francisco CA
    Resurface 400,000 square feet of landing runway, construct a 6' woven wire fence around east and south sides, landscape the area adjacent to the Golden Gate Bridge Highway Approach.--Mooser, p. 88.
  • Croatan National Forest: Reforestation - Havelock NC
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) “planted thousands of loblolly pine seedlings” (The Natural Traveler) in the Croatan National Forest, established in 1936.
  • Crocheron Park - Bayside NY
    NYC Parks explains that, "By 1936, the City had turned the area into a park with picnic grounds, winding walks, an enlarged lake for wintertime skating, and thousands of trees." What is now known as the Buz O'Rourke Playground in Crocheron Park was completed in June 1936, and a field house at 33rd Rd. and 215th Pl. was completed on April 3, 1937. A couple of weeks later, Parks announced that: "Crocheron Park has been completely redesigned and reconstructed. The entire 44 acres have been regraded and landscaped. New walks, benches, drainage and irrigation systems have been installed." Although these sources...
  • Crocheron Park: Buz O'Rourke Playground - Bayside NY
    A June 1936 press release announced the opening of a new playground at this site in Crocheron Park with "a large central grass panel surrounded by play apparatus for small children." NYC Parks confirms that this playground was built on land "acquired by the City in 1925 and turned into a park in 1936 at the request of the Bayside Civic Association." Although the 1936 press release does not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New...
  • Crocheron Park: Field House - Bayside NY
    NYC Parks explains that, "By 1936, the City had turned the area into a park with picnic grounds, winding walks, an enlarged lake for wintertime skating, and thousands of trees." On April 3, 1937, the Department of Parks announced the completion of a new building in Crocheron Park containing a "a comfort station, a large lounge, locker rooms and shower baths." Although these sources do not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor,...
  • Crocker Amazon Playground and Recreation Center - San Francisco CA
    "It started out in 1933 as the Crocker Amazon Reservoir site, 55 acres at Geneva Avenue and Moscow Street belonging to the Public Utilities Commission. In 1934, the Recreation Commission requested and received permission to develop the property for recreational purposes, and truck farmers, who had been working the land, were paid for their leases. The Recreation Commission leased 42 acres for $150 per month. From 1934-1937, workers from the WPA (Works Progress Administration) developed the playground, grading the baseball diamonds and installing a sprinkler system." - https://www.parkscan.org/parks?parkId=205 '(42 Acres) Geneva Avenue and Moscow Street. ... Excavation and placing in embankment 21,000...
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 2 - Crossett AR
    This "garage-type log building" was constructed in 1939 by the 768th company of the Arkansas CCC. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 6 - Crossett AR
    A "novelty siding-clad structure" built by the CCC. (Christ & Slater)
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Building # 8 - Crossett AR
    Wood-frame building, constructed adjacent to the main research office by the CCC.
  • Crossett Experimental Forest Project - Crossett AR
    The Crossett Experimental Forest is located about 11 km south of the town of Crossett in Ashley County, Arkansas. The Federal Emergency Relief Administration began the project in 1933 with "13 miles of pick-and-shovel-built FERA roads" (Reynolds). Firelines were built by the Works Progress Administration that are still in use today (Bragg & Gulden, 2009). Unspecified buildings were constructed in 1935 and 1936 by the WPA. The Civilian Conservation Corps built three buildings in 1939 and 1940. "Forest Service researchers associated with the Crossett have published more than 1,000 articles on forest management and silviculture. More than 45,000 foresters, students, landowners, and...
  • Crossroads Fire Tower - Hamburg AR
    "Crossroads Fire Tower is being nominated to the National Register of Historic Places with local significance under Criterion A for its association with the emphasis upon conservation of the abundance of natural resources in this area. This was also the original mandate of the Civilian Conservation Corps.  It is also being nominated under Criterion C as a good example of a fire tower built by the Civilian Conservation Corps.  This nomination is also being submitted under the multiple property context of “Facilities Constructed by the CCC in Arkansas, 1933-1942.” ...The State Forestry Commission chose a location known as Crossroads to erect...
  • Crotona Park Pool and Bathhouse - Bronx NY
    "This Olympic-size swimming pool and bathhouse complex opened on July 24, 1936. It was one of ten dedicated that year by Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981). The project, funded by a special Works Progress Administration (WPA) grant of $10 million, featured a 925,000 gallon swimming pool, 39,000 gallon wading pool, 450,000 gallon diving pool and a bathhouse. The latter was designed by noted architect Aymar Embury II (1880-1966), and is an art deco interpretation of a French castle." This pool was one of many WPA projects in Crotona Park.
  • Crotona Park Reconstruction - Bronx NY
    The park existed before the Depression, but was completely rebuilt in 1934-41 by the WPA: "As ice skating grew popular in the Bronx around the turn of the century, Parks paved the perimeter of Indian Pond and installed a warming hut and concession stand for skaters. In the 1930s, Works Progress Administration (WPA) employees built the boathouse on the east side of the pond and entirely rebuilt the area around the lake. Other projects in Crotona Park completed during the tenure of Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981) included the construction or renovation of five baseball diamonds, twenty tennis courts, twenty-six handball...
  • Crotona Park, Indian Pond and Boathouse - Bronx NY
    "Indian Pond and boathouse at Crotona Park, June 2014. The boat house was built by the WPA as part of the massive reconstruction of Crotona that was completed in 1941. The pond is covered with algae and choked with vegetation; it was restored in 2009 but then there was a problem with pond scum that has not yet been addressed... According to the Parks Department, the boathouse rented boats until the the 1970s. In 1984 it was briefly a nature center for Urban Park Rangers, and as of 2001, it's a nature center again."   (https://www.kermitproject.org)
  • Crowder Lake - Trenton MO
    The CCC did extensive work on the lake and surroundings. The Stone bridge pictured is on the National historical registry site. The dam and lake were constructed by CCC labor. The superintendent’s house pictured was started by CCC and completed after WW2.
  • Crowe Park Development - Maynard MA
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) conducted multiple work projects at Crowe Park in Maynard, Massachusetts in 1934, including removing rocks and stumps; grading land for parking space; painting its grandstands; and constructing tennis courts. In 1935 F.E.R.A. labor "erected a new back stop, cut brush and graded behind the grand stand. The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) continued work at the park, which included construction of a band stand in 1939.
1 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 105