“The Atlanta Ranger Station Historic District, also known as Atlanta Guard Station, is a 24 acres (9.7 ha) historic districtin Boise National Forest in Atlanta, Idaho that was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. It dates from… read more
In 1939, the federal Work Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop Austin Cary Forest, a UCF facility used for “the purposes of academic teaching, research, extension education, and demonstration“. The WPA “built roads, buildings, and water draining ditches. And 100,000… read more
National Youth Administration (NYA) was stationed at Avoca State Fish Hatchery from 1935 until 1942. The improvements to Avoca State Fish Hatchery was one of the longest NYA projects undertaken in the state. The NYA built a shelter house with… read more
The complex in Aztec Ruins National Monument consists of a “three-story structure [with] as many as 500 rooms, includ[ing] a great kiva [subterranean or partially subterranean Puebloan chamber used for religious ceremony] that is more than forty feet across.” The name… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Glade Creek Dam in Babcock State Park in Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from the Babcock… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Park Headquarters and Administration Building in Babcock State Park, Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the Pump House #1 in Babcock State Park, Clifftop WV. Babcock State Park contains 46 New Deal/CCC era resources on 4,127 acres near Clifftop, Fayette County, West Virginia. The land was purchased from the Babcock… read more
"The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established in April 1933 as a part of the New Deal Program of President Roosevelt as an effort to provide work for unemployed Americans during the Great Depression. Many of Backbone's buildings were constructed… read more
At Badlands National Park (formerly Badlands National Monument), WPA and CCC workers constructed buildings, created parking areas, made road improvements, and installed utilities. These crews helped develop the park that so many tourists and vacationers enjoy today.
In November 1935, the Works Progress Administration authorized $8243.00 for the construction and improvements at a new two acre playground, which would become Bailey Park. The improvements included two tennis courts, a baseball diamond, wading pool, light, water and sewer… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Bain school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Mint Hill). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to… read more
New York City’s Parks Department website states: “During the Great Depression of the 1930s, Commissioner Robert Moses (1888-1981) and the Works Progress Administration constructed recreational facilities in the park, including a boat landing, several playgrounds, tennis and handball courts, baseball… read more
These two oil on canvas murals, entitled “Farm Landscape” and “Point Loma,” were painted by Charles Reiffel on a commission from the WPA Federal Art Project in 1937. They were originally installed at Memorial Junior High School. Each mural measures… read more
Originally built in 1915 as the Foreign Arts Building for the Panama-California Exposition, it was renovated and expanded in 1935, with WPA money for the California-Pacific International Exposition. Rose Hanks created an incised relief doorway depicting Junipero Serra for the… read more
This 4′ high Indiana limestone sculpture and fountain by Donal Hord is titled “Woman of Tehuantepec” and is located in the courtyard of the House of Hospitality at San Diego’s Balboa Park.
Named for the numerous Pepper Trees that provide shade to the picnic area, the popular Pepper Grove offers picnic grounds with 15 tables and an extensive playground for children.
The Bald Creek Elementary School and accompanying gym were constructed in 1938 with the assistance of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).