- Honolulu, HI
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA)
- Harry Sims Bent
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
This shore-side park was constructed with CWA and FERA funds. From a Department of Land and Natural Resources calendar: “The moderne style, FERA funded Ala Moana Park East Entry Gateway (1934), designed by Harry Sims Bent, was officially named the Roosevelt Portals, as President Franklin D. Roosevelt traveled to Hawai’I to formally dedicate and open Ala Moana Park on July 27, 1934.”
The Roosevelt Portals are located at the east entrance to the park.
Calendar: "Federal Works Projects in Hawai'I: State of Hawai'I: Department of Land and Natural Resources: Protecting Our Past: 2011"
Weyeneth, Robert, 1987, Ala Moana: The People's Park, Prepared for the Department of Parks and Recreation.
At this Location:
- Lester McCoy Pavilion Murals - Ala Moana Park, Honolulu HI
- Lester McCoy Pavilion Bas Relief Panels - Honolulu HI
- Lester McCoy Pavilion Floor Mosaic - Honolulu HI
- Ala Moana Park: the Sports Pavilion and Banyan Court - Honolulu HI
- Ala Moana Park Landscape Design - Honolulu HI
- Ala Moana Park: Lawn Bowling Green - Honolulu HI
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site