The Works Progress Administration built tennis courts and completed landscaping at the American School in American Fork, Alpine School District. Docket # 2799-R (Utah).
“The American Legion Hall represents the success of local residents and federal relief programs administered on Colorado’s eastern plains during the Great Depression of the 1930s. Providing much-needed employment in Kiowa County, local workers constructed the building between 1937 and… read more
The 17,000-seat stadium was built in the Elizabeth community of Charlotte in 1936. The stadium recently underwent a renovation following structural issues and had its capacity reduced following the removal of the east end stands, and a downsizing of the… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) constructed a field house at American Legion Field in Boston, Mass. WPA Bulletin: WPA workmen have erected a modern field house, essential for the health and convenience of those who use the recreational facilities at the… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was very active in the Coronado National Forest during the 1930s. Coronado National Forest is discontinuous across southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico because the forested areas occur only on isolated mountain ranges called “Sky… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) erected an amphitheater in Mineral Wells, Texas during the Great Depression. The natural rock, earth, and grass amphitheater behind the Lillian Peek Home Economics building in Mineral Wells was constructed in 1937. Both projects were… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed an amphitheater on the campus of what is now Eastern Tennessee State University (ETSU). The amphitheater is located between the University Center and Roy S. Nicks Hall. Waymarking: “Once known as “the passion… read more
Kenilworth Park & Aquatic Gardens is situated on the banks of the Anacostia River at the north end of Anacostia Park. It is a marsh area that includes several cultivated ponds preserving rare waterlilies and lotuses. Originally known as the… read more
The Langston Golf Course in Anacostia Park was opened as a 9-hole course in 1939 (and expanded to 18 holes in the 1950s). It was constructed with the help of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Project Administration (WPA)…. read more
The present day Anacostia Pool & Recreation Center was constructed at the very end of the New Deal, as it overlapped with the country’s entry into World War II. On May 15, 1942, the Evening Star newspaper reported that… read more
Excavate below first floor of Building #21, underpin walls and piers of Building #21, and carry to solid bearing. Install complete drying room with lines, fans and louvres. Provide adequate room for ten-chair barber shop installation. Cut exterior doors, build… read more
Remove present sanitary and water lines and replace with new material. Replace plumbing fixtures, install hollow tile walls, partitions, tiling, electrical wiring and fixtures, ornamental iron, and necessary carpentry, concrete, lath, and plaster work. Remove old window frames and doors… read more
Razed water tanks; removed underground water pipes, landscaped grounds, built bulkhead and walks.–Healy, p. 73. Razing water tanks and removal of underground water pipes. Landscaping of Immigration Grounds; ditching around buildings, construction of incinerator; leveling of European Recreation Grounds; construction… read more
Construction of two 500,000 gallon square reservoir concrete slab bottom and sides with corrugated iron roofs, also 1,000 feet of 6 galvanized iron pipe to connect with existing water distribution lines. All necessary excavation, backfill and drainage installation.–Mooser, p. 94.
This high school gymnasium was constructed in Antelope, Texas during the Great Depression with the assistance of the Works Progress Administration. In addition to the native stone structure, the construction project included a septic tank, disposal field, and improved school… read more
CCC work in the area includes a picnic area, gazebo, and historic rock fireplaces as well as a guard station now used as a lodge.
Built in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the Antlers Guard Station was originally used to house project and fire crews. Later on, guard stations lost their utility, because the Forest Service had quicker ways to get to forest areas… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps completed the final link of the Appalachian Trail in Carrabassett Valley near Sugarloaf Mountain, on August 14, 1937. A plaque near the site reads: “In honor of the men of the Civilian Conservation Corps who, from 1935-1939, contributed greatly… read more
The Blue Room is one of the original dining areas in the WPA Aquatic Park Bathhouse building, within the Aquatic Park NHL District. Original drawings refer to this circular room on the eastern side of the second level as “restaurant.”… read more
Aransas National Wildlife Refuge is a 114,657-acre, federally protected area at San Antonio Bay on the coast of Texas. The refuge was established by Executive Order 7784 on December 31, 1937 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt as the Aransas Migratory… read more
“During the Great Depression, the federal government established the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to employ Americans in a series of public construction projects. Almost 19,000 New Yorkers labored on Staten Island. They built sidewalks through wooded areas that were supposed… read more