This simple wooden building was constructed by the WPA in 1936-37. As the town’s website explained: “Until the 1930’s, town meetings were probably held in the schoolhouse at Bennington Center. In 1936, during Franklin D. Roosevelt’s presidency, the Works Progress… read more
Berea, Kentucky’s Police and Municipal Center was originally built as the community’s post office. The New Deal building was constructed ca. 1938. It also houses an example of New Deal artwork.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Bernal Recreation Center in San Francisco in 1939-1940. It sits just behind and below the Bernal Heights Public Library. Work consisted of excavating and grading 1,492 cubic yards of rock and soil, building… read more
Longport, New Jersey’s Betty Bacharach Home for Afflicted Children was constructed in 1924, before the Great Depression. However, the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed an addition, featuring a “new physiotherapy pool and treatment unit” at the site starting in… read more
Quoins at corners-smooth limestone also on buttresses. Ticket windows along facade, 1 story 6 windows, flat roof-bonded cement overhang. All windows filled with cement block. Facade: 2 pairs of double doors w/transom. Large open space, wooden stairs to bleachers. Walls… read more
Made general repairs, cleaned tile and installed new tile, replaced glass, installed new plumbing and heating fixtures, did painting and concrete work, layed new floor in main auditorium, made accomodation for new health service municipal employees, increased corridor space on… read more
Originally constructed as the Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium, what is now the Bill Sapp Recreation Center was constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.). Postcard: “The Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium is one of the most handsome and best equipped buildings of… read more
The community house was approved as Works Progress Administration (WPA) project 20,814 in 1938. The wood-frame Colonial Style building was constructed to replace the former community house, on the same site. The design featured a banquet hall, recreation room, 850-seat… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Blanchard gym/auditorium in Blanchard OK. Contributor note: “The Blanchard gym/auditorium was completed as a WPA project in 1941. This is a one-story red brick building with an arched roof. On the west end, two… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) laborers conducted grading and landscaping work on the Bluebeard Castle Hotel grounds. Improvements included the construction of additional sleeping quarters and a parking area. CCC workers also built a water storage system. “Since no well water is available… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps and local experienced men, under the supervision of the U.S. Forest Service, constructed the Bly Ranger Station compound between 1936 and 1942. The compound, made up of both administrative and residential buildings, continues to service and… read more
The structure was originally built as the headquarters of the Boise District of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The Boise District supervised CCC camps in southern Idaho and eastern Oregon. Currently, the building serves as a restaurant.
The state acquired the land for Bonham State Park in 1933 from the City of Bonham. The Civilian Conservation Corps developed the 261-acre park, landscaping the rocky, hilly terrain for erosion control and recreational purposes, and constructing an earthen dam… read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of additions and alterations to the Bonner County Courthouse in Sandpoint in 1938-39. One source suggests that the Works Progress Administration (WPA) was involved with other related work at the building or grounds. The PWA provided a $37,650 grant… read more
The Bonnyview School was expanded in the 1930s with the help of the Public Works Administration (PWA). At the same time, the Bonnyview grounds were landscaped and 220 feet of rock retaining wall were built, along with entrance steps…. read more
The Booker T. Washington Courts was one of two rural public housing projects constructed in Lake Charles in 1939-1941. Architects G. Lewis Dunn and Gustave G. Quinn designed the complex initially as barracks-type housing, which was rejected for one-story duplexes…. read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook a sizable public building improvement project in Brooklyn, New York beginning in 1935. The project involved the “Improvement of Public Buildings and Offices” at more than 30 locations, including Brooklyn’s Borough Hall.
In 1935, the Meridian Tribune reported that a “contract for re-modeling the Bosque county courthouse [in Meridian, TX] and constructing a one-story addition was awarded … to O.K. Johnson, Waco contractor, for $44,113.00.” In 1934, the clock tower and hipped… read more