- Staunton, VA
- Site Type:
- Schools, Education and Health, Civic Facilities, Community Centers
- New Deal Agencies:
- Public Works Administration (PWA), Public Works Funding
- Raymond V. Long
- Site Survival:
Originally the Booker T. Washington High School for Coloreds, this Art Deco community center was constructed in 1936 with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a grant of $30,991 for the project, whose total cost was $75,760. Construction occurred between Jan. and Oct. 1936. Expanded in 1960, the building is listed on the National Register of historic Places.
PWA Docket No. Va. [W]1098
Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 120.
National Register of Historic Places: https://npgallery.nps.gov/GetAsset/dc6236bb-ff33-47c4-b019-309063ac4bf8 (accessed Mar. 30, 2023)
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 29, 2023.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site