The Works Progress Administration (WPA) repaired 69 public buildings in Parkersburg, Wood County. The projects were sponsored jointly by the City of Parkersburg and the Board of Education, and were backed by local organizations. The WPA provided the labor and… read more
“Holly River State Park retain s its rustic style, WPA-built administrative building, which also houses a restaurant.”
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed rehabilitation work at the Berkeley Springs Sanitarium. The work was done following the 1936 spring floods that had damaged the facilities. The high water left behind mold and debris in the Sanitarium building. The… read more
The Works Progress Administration built storm sewers from Bluff Street and Third Street to Elk Creek in Clarksburg.
The Works Progress Administration built storm sewers on Broadway Avenue in Clarksburg. The work consisted of “Construction of 24- and 18-Inch sewers.”
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) funded the construction of Camp Fairchance in Low Gap, Boone County. The buildings were constructed by FERA and later occupied by the WPA. The camp hired unemployed teachers… read more
Hawk’s Nest State Park began as 31 acres bought by the state of West Virginia and is now an 838 acre park southwest of Anstead, Fayette County, West Virginia. The park overlooks the New River along the Midland Trail (US… read more
“Circleville School is a historic school building located at Circleville, Pendleton County, West Virginia. It was built in 1937-1938, as a project of the federal Works Progress Administration. It is a two-story masonry building in the Georgian Revival style. It… read more
“Arthurdale was the first of many New Deal planned communities established under Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. It was intended to take impoverished laborers, farmers, and coal miners and move them to a modern rural community that would allow them to… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps completed groundwork and remade the battlefield area into an outdoors recreation area. The museum is located in a former cabin and not built as a museum. In the 1970s it was broken into and many of… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built a community center for African American residents of Wilson Hollow, Charleston, Kanawha County. The exact location and condition of this structure are unknown to the Living New Deal. The May 7, 1938 the Charleston Gazette notes… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of women’s dormitories for the Concord University (Concord State Teachers College) in Athens. Project W. Va.-1058-R. Today the building is still in service as a residence hall an operates as Sarvay Hall.
The West Virginia Department of Commerce writes: “The forest and its amenities are directly attributable to the development CCC Camp Rhododendron, formerly Camp Preston. A priority for the forest was fire fighting and wildlife food plots to increase hunting and… read more