On the Marshall County Courthouse grounds the two sided marker lists one theme per side. The West Virginia historical marker program began in 1934 with the beginning research for the markers with the intention of placing markers around the state… read more
“A further addition was designed by Levi J. Dean in 1940 and executed by the Works Progress Administration. The addition reflects Art Deco influences.”
The Works Progress Administration built what was then Harrison County Airport in Clarksburg. The airport serves today as the North Central West Virginia Airport.
This small bridge over Elk Creek was built in 1925. It was improved by the WPA in 1942.
There is a unique building within the historic district, the Ravenswood Community Center (JA-0177 and JA-177A). It was constructed by the National Youth Administration, a program under the “New Deal” program of Franklin Delano Roosevelt during the Great Depression. The “NYA… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Oakes Field House (former Recreation Building) in South Charleston in 1939. The Recreation Building, as it was called in 1939, is a two-story brick building with gable and seven bays facing 3rd… read more
oglebayfoundation.org, 2012: “Several dozen Works Progress Administration (WPA) workmen began construction on the Oglebay pool in late 1936, using a federal grant of $68,000, supplemented by a loan from the Sarita Oglebay Russel trust (with the loan to be paid… read more
The National Youth Administration built a running track for the Parkersburg High School in Parkersburg. At the time of its construction this was the only half-mile track in West Virginia.
The National Youth Administration (NYA) built a two-room addition for the Peterstown High School and the Board of Education of Monroe County. The Board of Education provided the materials and skilled construction supervision, while the NYA provided the labor.
The Works Progress Administration built a retaining wall along Pfeiffer Hollow Road in Charleston. The exact location of the wall is unknown to the Living New Deal. The former Pfeiffer Hollow Road appears to be the same as the present day… read more
The Public Works Administration funded the construction of facilities for the Pine Crest Sanitarium, Beckley, Raleigh County. Project W. Va.-1126-DS. Today the facility is in service and operates as the Jackie Withrow Hospital. A market at the hospital site reads: “Established… read more
The National Youth Administration built a storage building for the Pocahontas County Board of Education in Marlinton, Pocahontas County. The exact location of this facility is unknown to the Living New Deal.
New Deal post office with the standard cornerstone, erected in 1940. According to a National Register of Historic Places Registration Form, the structure was built circa 1940. “One-story, side gable, post office building with engaged, end chimneys. There are three,… read more