- Grantsville, WV
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Courthouses (State & Local)
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- T.T. Sansbury (Architect)
- Philip R. Lewis (Builder)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
The Works Progress Administration built this courthouse in Grantsville between 1941 and 1942.
The building is stone construction with an entrance marked by a portico and a taller central portion. The massing of the rear facade is minimized by a gable roof and the facade is built of similar stone work.
Of an interesting side note, Grantsville is named for General and President US Grant who is a distant cousin of FDR with the common ancestor of Philip Delano of 17th century Massachusetts.
National Archives and Records Administration, Records of the Work Projects Administration, Information Service, Primary File, 1936-42, Box 6, Folder 212-A.
Site visit 8 June 2018.
Calhoun County Courthouse, West Virginia SHPO Historic Property Inventory form CH-0003-0001
"Grantsville, WV" https://www.wvencyclopedia.org/articles/2149 (accessed 19 June 2019)
Site originally submitted by Brent McKee on July 27, 2015.
Additional contributions by Ernest Everett Blevins, MFA June 19, 2019.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site