With WPA support, Cal Peters painted several murals for the University of Wisconsin-Stout campus, circa 1935-1936. This 7′ x 20′ oil on canvas is entitled “Perrault’s Trading Fort.” It depicts a trading post on Red Cedar River at the future… read more
The historic former Benton School Gymnasium was constructed, in part, as a WPA project. The building now houses a religious organization. WisconsinHistory.org: “A brick gymnasium structure that has a round arched roof. Round recessed arched areas that unite the two… read more
"In the early 1930s the success of the Eau Claire Bears, a "farm" team affiliated with the Chicago Cubs, encouraged Eau Claire to apply to the Works Progress Administration (WPA) to fund recreational improvements in Carson Park. The centerpiece of… read more
A New Deal federal aid project, what is now the westbound span of the Mississippi River Bridge in la Crosse, Wisconsin was constructed in 1939-1940. A plaque on the bridge reads: State Highway Commission of Wisconsin Bridge No 300 1939 Federal-Aid Project… read more
The CCC had multiple camps in this area of the Chequamegon National Forest and engaged in many kinds of forest work including “planting of Jack Pine and Norway Pine seedlings, fire hazard reduction, scalping or preparation for future planting,…[t]imber stand… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps played an important role in helping establish the Nicolet National Forest as a viable and productive area… CCC enrollees working on the Nicolet Forest performed many duties, including forest fire control, tree planting, road construction, recreation… read more
Milwaukee’s Cherry Street Bridge was constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project in 1940. “The Cherry Street Bridge is a bascule bridge that crosses the Milwaukee River just North of downtown. The 214-foot total length includes a 103-foot draw… read more
“While the seal [seal of Milwaukee] itself is in safekeeping with Milwaukee’s City Clerk, a permanent, more colorful version of it resides in the form of a stained glass window in the City Council chambers.” (www.milwaukeehistory.net) “The Arnold Gavin Stained… read more
“In 1936, with funding supplied by the Federal Government through an agency called the “Works Progress Administration” (WPA), and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), the Town of Mercer started work on the Mercer Community Center/Public Library. Constructed entirely of pine… read more
“When federal funds became available under the Civil Works Administration (CWA), with only three weeks of planning time Milwaukee city and county officials developed projects to employ 26,000 workers in the winter of 1933-34 doing landscaping, road grading, street repair… read more
Dells of the Eau Claire County Park has significant New Deal resources in the areas of recreation, conservation, landscape architecture, and architecture thanks to the work of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Between 1935 and 1942, the CCC greatly enhanced… read more
“Distinguished by its decorative brickwork, turrets, and battlemented parapets, the Shorewood Department of Public Works Administration Building was constructed in 1936 with funding from the federal government’s Works Progress Administration.”
"Founded in 1911, Devil's Lake is the third oldest state park in Wisconsin, the largest, and the most visited. Devil's Lake offers magnificent views from 500-foot quartzite bluffs overlooking a 360-acre lake. Enjoy lakeshore picnic areas, sandy swimming beaches, 29… read more
The Doctors Park Bathhouse in Bayside, Wisconsin, a northern suburb of Milwaukee, is adjacent to Tietjen Beach on Lake Michigan and within 75 feet of the shoreline. This former bathhouse was constructed as a Work Projects Administration (WPA) project in… read more
The historic Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Station post office in Milwaukee, Wisconsin was constructed in 1938 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in service.
The Works Progress Administration built an entrance gate for the E. W. Luther Elementary School track. A plaque installed on the structure reads: “WPA 1036.” The gate marks the back entrance to the school’s athletic field.