Station 5 (former) Improvements – Asheville NC

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) provided labor for the renovation of Asheville’s old Station 5 firehouse, in Biltmore Village. The building, which served as a fire station until 1975, is now privately owned. “Under… read more

Street Improvements – Boone NC

The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), and Works Progress Administration (WPA) each conducted road repair / improvement projects in Boone, North Carolina. As of June 1939 three miles of streets and sidewalks has been “finished in… read more

Town Hall and Fire Station (former) – Scotland Neck NC

The Scotland Neck Historic District contains multiple buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). “A one-and-one-half-story brick Colonial Revival-style building was constructed in 1939 on East Eleventh Street through the cooperative efforts of the Town of Scotland Neck and… read more

Watauga County Office Annex – Boone NC

Watauga County Office Building / Annex

The Watauga County Courthouse complex in Boone, North Carolina “includes a Works Projects Administration funded building as part of its annex.” The striking stone building “was completed in 1939 and housed the Watauga County Library from 1946 through 1997.” The… read more

William B. Umstead State Park – Raleigh NC

William B. Umstead State Park

“In 1934, under the Resettlement Administration, federal and state agencies united to buy 5,000 acres of this submarginal land to develop a recreation area. The Civilian Conservation Corps, as well as the Works Progress Administration, helped construct the site while… read more