The Allen Jay School Rock Gymnasium opened on November 21, 1939, on the school campus then outside High Point, North Carolina. Besides a gymnasium, the building had locker rooms, a library, and two classrooms. The project was completed using funds… read more
The 17,000-seat stadium was built in the Elizabeth community of Charlotte in 1936. The stadium recently underwent a renovation following structural issues and had its capacity reduced following the removal of the east end stands, and a downsizing of the… read more
B. N. Duke Auditorium at North Carolina Central University, a historically black college, was constructed as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. The building is located on the east side of Fayetteville Road just… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Bain school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Mint Hill). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to… read more
The Bald Creek Elementary School and accompanying gym were constructed in 1938 with the assistance of the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Berryhill school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Charlotte). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to Living… read more
Originally constructed as the Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium, what is now the Bill Sapp Recreation Center was constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.). Postcard: “The Lumberton City Armory-Auditorium is one of the most handsome and best equipped buildings of… read more
The stone wall at Brevard College in Brevard, North Carolina, was erected by the Works Progress Administration in 1936-37. Portions run along French Broad Avenue and North Broad Street. At the intersection of the streets, the walls are connected with… read more
The CCC began working along Cape Hatteras National Seashore in 1934 (this was actually three years before it was officially named “Cape Hatteras National Seashore”). The first CCC boys on this project were based out of Manteo, North Carolina, Camp… read more
Elementary school built in 1935 with funding from the Public Works Administration and Proximity Manufacturing Company for the White Oak New Town mill village community founded by the Cone Mills Corporation, then among the largest denim manufacturers in the world. Still… read more
In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) allotted funds for a 3 runway airport in Charlotte. Charlotte’s major airport was built between 1935 and 1937. The WPA also built the Douglas Airport Hangar is located at 4108 Airport Drive in Charlotte,… read more
The historic Belmont City Hall, constructed as the city’s post office, houses an example of New Deal artwork. The mural “Mayor Chronicle’s South Fork Boys” was completed by Peter DeAnna in 1940; the work was commissioned by the Treasury Section of… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) “planted thousands of loblolly pine seedlings” (The Natural Traveler) in the Croatan National Forest, established in 1936.
Numerous municipal improvement projects were undertaken in Lenoir, North Carolina as part of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) projects during the 1930s. One project involved improving the city’s fire alarm system. Exact details are unknown to Living New Deal. The… read more
“The Forest Theatre is a stone amphitheater structure built into the hillside on the eastern edge of the UNC-Chapel Hill campus and contiguous with Battle Park. Outdoor drama was first performed on this site in 1916 to celebrate the tercentenary… read more