Nina de Brennecke created three carved mahogany bas relief sculptures: “Peaches,” “Dewberries,” and “Drilling,” in 1942 with funds provided by the federal Treasury Section of Fine Arts. They are viewable in the lobby of the historic Hamlet, North Carolina post… read more
A swimming pool and bathhouse at Pullen Park in Raleigh, North Carolina were constructed as part of a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project during the Great Depression. (ncsu.edu) The current status of the facility is unknown to Living New… read more
“Between 1932 and 1935 communities throughout North Carolina, including Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, benefited from a broad array of public works funded primarily by Washington. These included … the extension of a section of Queens Road to connect with East Morehead… read more
“Raleigh Little Theatre (RLT) is a community theatre in Raleigh, North Carolina that produces 10 to 11 full productions annually and maintains a comprehensive youth and adult theatre education programs… Raleigh Little Theatre started in 1935-36 when a group of… read more
“$150,000 of WPA money went to Raleigh Municipal Airport for paving runways.” (ncsu.edu) The airport, which was located south of Raleigh, no longer exists.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) constructed runways at Raleigh Municipal Airport south of Raleigh, North Carolina. The field closed in 1973 and the property has since been thoroughly redeveloped.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) provided labor for the construction of multiple facilities at Recreation Park in Asheville, NC. The CWA constructed a barracks at the park, as well as developing a skating rink…. read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) helped construct Salem-Winston’s Reynolds Park and Recreation Center between 1939 and 1940. “A $300,000 proposed municipal park and recreation center at Winston-Salem, N.C., has received final approval in Washington,” a journalist for Park & Recreation… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) supplied labor for the development of a “Rhododendron Gardens Park” in Asheville, North Carolina. The project cost was $4,089.29, all footed by the federal government. The location and status… read more
The Treasury Department funded the construction of the U. S. Post Office and Federal Building. The Art Deco structure was built in 1935 at the cost of more than $225,000. The architect of record was Louis A. Simon of the Public Works Branch,… read more
The historic former New Deal post office and federal building—now the Richmond County Administration Building—in Rockingham, North Carolina received an example of New Deal artwork upon its completion. Commissioned by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts, Edward Laning painted this… read more
Lumberton, North Carolina’s Robeson County Agricultural Building was constructed in 1937 with federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) labor.
Ruth G. Rush Residence Hall, constructed as a women’s dormitory at North Carolina Central University in Durham, North Carolina, was built as part of a federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project during the Great Depression. A National Register of Historic… read more
Between 1937 and 1939 the existing 1904 courthouse was extensively renovated and a new jail was added. A 1978 report entitled 100 Courthouses, A Report on North Carolina Judicial Facilities states that the county wanted a new building, but the… read more
A major sanitary sewer construction project in Waynesville, North Carolina was enabled by federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds during the Great Depression. The PWA provided a $122,500 loan and $100,227 outright grant to the community for the project, whose… read more
The Scotland Neck Historic District contains multiple buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). “A brick gymnasium and vocational building constructed on the grounds of the no longer extant 1923 Scotland Neck High School in the 1300 block of… read more
The federal Civil Works Administration (CWA) constructed a gymnasium at the old high school for the Sharon school district in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (now within the city limits of Charlotte). The structure, whose exact location is unknown to Living New… read more
Sheep-Harney Elementary School was built in 1940 as a project of the Works Projects Administration. It was constructed on the site of an earlier school as S.L. Sheep Junior High School, and named for an educational leader in Elizabeth City…. read more
“In 1936, through a federally financed work program, the National Park Service bought portions of the land surrounding Singletary Lake for a recreational demonstration project. One of two projects in North Carolina, the federal government purchased the land at an… read more
“Development of land in what is now South Mountains State Park began in the 1930s when Camp Dryer, a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, was established at Enola. Those employed at the camp constructed forest service roads, cleaned stream beds… read more