- Willamette National Forest, OR
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Campgrounds and Cabins, Picnic and Other Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- William Parke
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Paradise Campground is less than a mile and a half from the McKenzie Ranger Station on the south bank of the McKenzie River. This camping area was laid-out and improved by Civilian Conservation Corps enrollees from CCC Camp Belknap in 1937. When constructed it included both the current Paradise Campground and the adjacent Paradise Day Use Area. At the time, “Paradise Camp” was meant to serve as many as five-hundred campers.
Today the Campground’s 64 campsites serve visitors to the Willamette National Forest. The campground offers access to the McKenzie River as well.
"Camp Belknap," CCC-Vancouver Barracks Report - 1937. pp. 114-117 & 146.
"Paradise Campground," Willamette National Forest. US Forest Service Website: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willamette/recarea/?recid=4380
Rakestraw, Lawrence & Mary (1991) History of the Willamette National Forest. USDA - Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region. p. 111.
Silvermoon, Jon (1984) Cultural Resource Inventory, Site Evaluation, and Mitigation Report for the McKenzie Ranger Site Development Project and Belknap Civilian Conservation Corps Camp. District Archaeologist Report, Willamette National Forest, McKenzie Ranger District. July 18, 1984.
Site originally submitted by Jim Reed on September 10, 2022.
Additional contributions by Judith Kenny & Tom Hubka.
At this Location:
- Clear Lake Cutoff & Forest Roads (Clear Lake Truck Trail) - Willamette National Forest OR
- Horse Creek Group Campground - Willamette National Forest OR
- McKenzie Bridge Campground - Willamette National Forest OR
- Paradise Day Use Area (Paradise Camp)- Willamette National Forest OR
- Clear Lake Day Use Area (Clear Lake Forest Camp) - Willamette National Forest OR
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site