- Willamette National Forest, OR
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Campgrounds and Cabins, Picnic and Other Facilities
- New Deal Agencies:
- US Forest Service (USFS), Work Relief Programs, Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)
- Quality of Information:
- Site Survival:
Also referred to as the McKenzie River Campground, the McKenzie Bridge Campground was among the first campgrounds built with Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) labor in the Willamette National Forest (WNF). The forest supervisor prioritized recreation projects in the WNF, setting a goal that 25% of CCC time be spent on recreational development with the remainder be spent on fire fighting and forest management responsibilities.
CCC enrollees from Camp Belknap constructed the McKenzie Bridge Campground, laying out the site’s roads and campsites, providing water, and constructing picnic tables as well as the needed facilities for camping and picnicking. Today at McKenzie Bridge Campground, there are twenty campsites with picnic tables and a small boat launch managed by the US Forest Service.
"Camp Belknap," CCC-Vancouver Barracks Report - 1937. pp. 114-117 & 146.
"McKenzie Bridge Campground," Willamette National Forest. Recreation.gov Website: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/231985?tab=info Viewed August 8, 2022.
Rakestraw, Lawrence & Mary (1991) History of the Willamette National Forest. USDA - Forest Service Pacific Northwest Region.
Site originally submitted by Jim Reed on September 4, 2022.
Additional contributions by Judith Kenny & Tom Hubka.
At this Location:
- Horse Creek Group Campground - Willamette National Forest OR
- Paradise Campground (Paradise Camp) - Willamette National Forest OR
- Paradise Day Use Area (Paradise Camp)- Willamette National Forest OR
- Clear Lake Day Use Area (Clear Lake Forest Camp) - Willamette National Forest OR
- Clear Lake Cutoff & Forest Roads (Clear Lake Truck Trail) - Willamette National Forest OR
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site