- Seattle, WA
- Site Type:
- Sidewalks and Stairs, Infrastructure and Utilities
- New Deal Agency:
- Public Works Administration (PWA)
- Site Survival:
A Public Works Administration grant helped to fund construction of the Montlake Boulevard Pedestrian Overcrossing on the campus of the University of Washington. The bridge provided a safer pedestrian connection between the main part of the campus west of Montlake Boulevard and the university’s main athletic facilities east of Montlake Boulevard, including Husky Stadium and the University of Washington Pavilion, later renamed to Hec Edmundson Pavilion. Construction of the bridge began in late 1938 and was substantially completed by February of 1939. The total cost of the project was $22,349, of which 45% was paid by the PWA. The remainder of the funds came from the city of Seattle’s share of the Washington state gasoline tax revenues.
Annual Report. City Engineer Department. City of Seattle. 1938. https://archives.seattle.gov/digital-collections/index.php/Detail/objects/182473
Site originally submitted by Scott Newman on April 25, 2022.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site