- Seattle, WA
- Site Type:
- Parks and Recreation, Stadiums
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
The University of Washington’s Husky Stadium was expanded during the 1930s as a result of WPA funding assistance and efforts. A WPA press release from Dec. 1937 announced $23,345 in funds for the site and described some of the work:
“A three-story headhouse will be built over the main entrance. The first floor of the structure will be occupied by ticket offices, storage rooms and public lavatories while the second floor will be given over to caretakers’ apartments.
Equipment for a public address system, and an observation room will find a place on the third floor. Surmounting the structure will be a cupola and balcony from which a battery of searchlights will aid in illuminating the field for night play.
In addition, a rounding out of the seating capacity of the bowl will be undertaken. A top deck of 14 rowS of bleacher seats will extend those constructed under a former WPA project, along the north and south sides of the stadium, around the closed end of the horseshoe. The buildings and additional seating capacity is slated to be finished by March 20.”
The stadium has been renovated heavily since that time.
Source notesWPA Press Release [#347], Dec. 11, 1937, [page 47]: https://www.sos.wa.gov/legacy/images/publications/SL_wpawapressrelease_no301to400/SL_wpawapressrelease_no301to400.pdf
Site originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 27, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site