“Born in Finland, Kangas was himself an enrollee of the Civilian Conservation Corps and originally created this figure, a young man stripped to the waist holding a shovel, for the CCC camp at Griffith Park.” – http://www.ccclegacy.org/iron_mike_history.htm The original statue… read more
A mission revival style building. In July 1933, the Illustrated Daily News reported that under various projects that were being initiated under the CWA and CCC in Griffith Park as part of the first large wave of mass employment projects… read more
The CWA or the RFC (which early on in the New Deal directly hired temporary day labor) constructed a 12 court tennis complex in Griffith Park. Rubble wall construction typifies work done by the ND throughout the park.
“WPA funds were responsible for various projects in [Griffith] park, including construction of a 9 hole golf course on the former Griffith Reservation. At the urging of Mayor Frank Shaw, it was named in honor of President Roosevelt in 1937.”
The Astronomer’s Monument is one of L. Archibald Garner’s well-known public works. It was completed in 1934 with PWAP support. It pays homage to six great astronomers: Hipparchus, Nicolas Copernicus, Galileo Galilei, Johannes Kepler, Isaac Newton, and William Herschel. Although… read more