- Castro Valley, CA
- Site Type:
- Civic Facilities, Art Works, Community Centers, Art Centers
- New Deal Agencies:
- Work Relief Programs, Works Progress Administration (WPA)
- Alonzo Chard, Clay Spohn
“The Adobe building, located on the grounds of the Castro Valley Elementary School, was leased to the Hayward Area Recreation and Park District for use as a community center. The Adobe was a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project designed by Mario Corbett of San Francisco and built in 1938. The building is located in an elm grove planted by the Castro Valley Boy Scouts in 1926. There are hundreds of 4x9x16 inch adobe bricks made by the W.P.A. from dirt excavated from the site of the Redwood School in Castro Valley. The walls of the Adobe are 16 inches thick. Most of the timbers were hand hewn from discarded telephone poles given to the Castro Valley School District by the Pacific Telephone Company. Stabilized mud was used as mortar and the Glidden Paint Company developed special paint. The original draperies were hand woven by WPA workers from twine supplied by the Castro Valley School District.
Of special interest is the copper mural over the large fireplace in the meeting hall portraying scenes from the life of California Indians designed by Clay Spohn and executed by Alonzo Chard in 1941. A mosaic mural by an anonymous artist at the entrance to the building depicts a bullfight and the completion of the Transcontinental Railroad.” (https://www.adobegallery.org/)
The copper mural referred to above was funded by the WPA.
Site originally submitted by Harvey Smith on March 20, 2014.
Contribute to this Site
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal site.Submit More Information or Photographs for this New Deal Site